870

Advice Request
There's an unknown account on Snapchat that is spreading false information about the requester.

Answered Submission
Hello,

I, in no way want to lead you to any false conclusions, but from what you said in your request, it sounds like they, whoever this person is, are likely close to you. You're fairly certain she is from your country, and she knows enough about you to place herself at your apartment and mimic how you speak. This person has insider information about you, and about your relationship with Sky as well. I would be very surprised if this mystery person wasn't someone you know.

As for tracking down a name, on Snapchat, you can look people up via their phone number. If this person is, in fact, someone you know who may be in your contacts, you can go to your profile page and scroll down to "Add Friends". When you open that up, Next to "Quick Add" there should be the words "All Contacts". If you click on that, it will show you accounts linked to phone numbers in your contact list. Again, if this person is in your contact list and the account is linked to that number, it will show up. You can also cross-reference the Snapchat username on other social media platforms to see if you come across a match. There are websites you can use to find people by entering their username or other information, but they can be sketchy, so I advise against those.

I wish there was more we could do for you on our end, but I hope this helps! And as I said, it really sounds like this person is someone you may know, so I would take some time to think about what this person knows and how they could have access to that information. I also strongly suggest that both you and Sky block them. If they are intentionally spreading misinformation about you, they are not someone you need to hear from. Talk to Sky about what has been going on, and document what this account has said so far. Take screenshots (they can see when you take a screenshot on Snapchat, but it doesn't matter if they know. It is more important that you have documentation of the things being said) and save them in multiple places so that if they are deleted on your phone, for example, you can still access them from your email account, a computer file, or other data saving space.

I know you do not want to bring in external help, but I think it is a good idea to tell an adult about what is going on. Cyberbullying is not a small issue, and it should not be something you handle on your own. Talk to your parent or guardian, or another trusted adult so that they can at least be there to support you if not help you in some other way.

Again, I hope this helps, love. Good luck! Message us again if you need anything else.

Best,
The Advice Column Team