Ch. 46 Trust

Jasmine's P.O.V.
"You will not talk to him?" Sunstreaker asks.
"I... not until most of the patients are released from the medbay," I tell him.
"And the next time many soldiers are injured?" He asks.
"Hopefully, I'll be working in the medbay with him, and Jolt. That by then, Ratchet will be better at not working so many hours when he doesn't have to. That he'll get help from the hospital. Jolt hells me it's part of an agreement they have with the hospital."
For now, there's not much I can do but take care of Audrey and study. Even if studying might be pointless.
"He better have listened when we said he's taking you out on a date Friday, which is tomorrow," Sideswipe says.
I'd like that, but I will not argue with Ratchet.

Audrey is awake at four. I feed her, and lay her on her play mat. Trying to figure out how to play with her. So far, she doesn't seem behind developmentally. It's hard not to think I might not be watching her grow up. That my only family will be my aunt, uncle, and cousins. It's like I shouldn't get close to Audrey, but I have to show I can take care of her. 

Ratchet walks in at five and picks up Audrey. I love how much he loves her. 
"Ready for another walk?" He asks her as I get her stroller.
We go down to the cafeteria.

"Can I hold her?" Roy asks.
"No!" I yell, immediately feeling bad I did.
Roy looks at me, uncertain if he should leave or not.
"You scaring her, fleshie?!" Sunstreaker yells, ready to fight Roy. Sideswipe also looks pissed.
"No, I wanted to hold the baby. I should have known she'd be terrified I'd take the baby," Roy explains.
The twins look at each other. I know they're talking to each other. Roy isn't sure if he should leave.
"Fine, you can stay here," Sunstreaker angrily says, and sits at the table, but Roy goes with Sideswipe, "I've talked to him, and didn't smell any lying," Sunstreaker tells me, "still, I'm going to treat him as if he's not to be trusted until you trust him."

Sideswipe's P.O.V.
"You sure about this?" I ask Roy.
"How else is Jasmine going to learn to trust again? Every human at the base trusts most Autobots. She trusts the one bot most soldiers don't trust, but that's not the same as trusting humans to her. I know not trusting soldiers is going to be a problem beyond how she doesn't trust any human outside of her family. I should have known she'd panic when I asked to hold the baby."
I find out Roy doesn't know that Audrey is Jasmine's sister, and he's now finding out the other half of this depressing situation.
He still wants to help Jasmine.

Roy comes with me back to the table, but only carrying his dinner. He sits next to me while I sit across from Jasmine. Ratchet comes back to the table, unaware of what happened and we're going to keep it that way. He knows Jasmine has trust issues and is questioning if she should trust Roy. The rest of the night is going to be routine without Ratchet and Roy. Tomorrow we'll find out if Ratchet will leave the medbay early and take Jasmine out.

The morning is not starting out great. Ratchet went to the hospital rather than having breakfast with his femmes. 
I didn't threaten him enough! Sunstreaker rages.
He's likely going to get doctors to stay in the medbay with Jolt tonight.
I hope that's what he's doing. Jasmine needs him. Jasmine is not pleased that Ratchet didn't wait until after breakfast to go to the hospital.

Sunstreaker and I take the two femmes to the lounge room. Sunstreaker didn't think I'd have Audrey's play mat in my subspace. Jasmine laughs at how I basically have a diaper bag in my subspace, though I might not have everything Audrey would need, but I can go up to my room if I have to. Glad I don't have to teach my class. I'm worried about these two to leave them for the day.

Ratchet's P.O.V.
"Well, this is an unusual situation," the head of the residency program, Philip Webb comments, "and normally anyone who leaves the program for two months would have a hard time returning. Add what you're telling me needs to happen, but I'll allow it."
I honestly didn't think he'd agree. This should help Jasmine tremendously.

Once I have a few doctors on board with helping Jolt and me in the medbay, I return to the base and check on the patients. Jolt insisting I take Jasmine out tonight before I tell him I got help from the hospital.
"Good, and you can tell her the good news," Jolt smiles.
I worry Jasmine isn't ready to even review with practice dummies. I go to meet Jasmine for lunch and tell her we're going out at five.

Jasmine's P.O.V.
Ratchet is waiting by the cafeteria. Then Ratchet leaves us for the rest of the day. I don't like it, but I can't tell him not to do his job. I'm more disappointed I can't help.
Audrey is asleep in her stroller. I wonder if she misses seeing him or is too young to think like that?
"I wonder if she'll stay asleep if I pick her up?" Ratchet questions.
"Do we want a cranky baby?" I ask.
Ratchet thinks he can get Audrey to stop crying if she wakes up. I head to a table with the stroller while the twins and Ratchet make lunch.

I wait twenty minutes before the three sit at the table with food. The twins argue Ratchet should leave Audrey alone.
The baby didn't stay asleep for long before crying. Autobots and soldiers looking at us as Ratchet tries to get her to stop crying.
"May I?" I hear Roy.
Ratchet hands him Audrey and takes my hand.
How is a stranger going to get her to stop crying?

Roy gets Audrey to stop crying.
"There, happy baby," he smiles, and gives me Audrey, "I have a two-year-old daughter," he explains, before walking away.
"He just wants to help," Ratchet says.
Knowing Sunstreaker, he integrated Roy. He'd know if Roy was lying beyond the typical hints every Autobot can detect. I can't trust he's looking to be my friend after what I've been through.