The Girl Who Caused a Coffee Spill

Throughout the rest of the day, I kept thinking about "Nunya". She was sassy and not afraid to speak her mind, whereas the first impression I received was that she was timid.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, yeah, sorry about that," I said, snapping out of the trance I was in. I was working at the coffee shop today and I wasn't so focused on my job like I normally was.

"I would like a coffee, please," the man said in a bored and annoyed tone. Well obviously you want a coffee! You came to a coffee shop!

"Would you like cream or sugar with that, sir?" Hopefully he would leave a tip in the jar.

"No, black," he said, keeping his bored monotone.

I nodded and sighed, grabbing a cup to prepare his coffee. Business was a little slower than usual today, but someone else would be clocking in to help me when it came time for the post-work rush.

"Nathan, honey, has the new worker clocked in?" Venice asked me.

"Nope, not yet, but it's fine. There's still not many people here," I explained and "Nana" nodded. Everyone called her that around here. I didn't actually know her real name, though I had been working her for three years every other night or so.

"Okay, tell me when she arrives," she said with a small frown.

"She? Who?"

"Just some girl who comes here at four o'clock in the morning some days. I never get here before her if she comes, even when I have to fill out taxes or come to clean up. She's always waiting outside the door at the early hours of the morning and I feel really bad about it. I offered her a job and gave her a key to use. She really is a sweetheart. I don't know why she's here so early, shivering her butt off in the cold, but it's the least I could do. I feel bad for her," Nana said and I nodded. That seemed like something Nana would do, she was a very welcoming person and was super-nice to everyone. She had a bubbly personality and I didn't know anyone who disliked her. There wasn't a mean bone in Nana's body.

The bell rang and as I was pouring the water for the man at the register, I looked up to see who walked in. It was her- my new tutor!

She looked around the coffee shop hastily and she seemed a bit out of breath. She sighed, pushing her hair out of her eyes and coming up to the counter. I thought she was going to wait behind the man at the register, but instead she slipped behind the counter. What the heck?

"Shit!" I burnt myself as the hot, boiling water overflowed. I nursed my burnt hand and her blue eyes were staring right at me. They showed no signs of shyness and fear like they had earlier. She just gave me a quick, innocent look before opening the employee door and going into the back.

"Hey, wait up, you can't go back there!" I shouted and quickly handed the impatient customer his coffee before following her to the back. She wasn't allowed there. The sign read, "employees only".

I opened the door to see her putting on her green apron, tying her long hair back with a ponytail, and rubbing her hand around before picking up a name tag. Was she the new worker?

"You again, huh? Are you stalking me or something?" She said, her back turned to me as she clipped on the name tag. Was the shy girl actually telling a joke?

And to me?

Oh, crap. To me.

"Um...no...I work here..."

"I see that, I was kidding. Loosen up a bit," she said, running by me and patting my shoulder to get me to move from my frozen stance, where I remained shocked at her change of attitude. Was she bipolar?