Chapter 3: Firnest

As Zoltan clambered onto Starstike's back, Starstrike bellowed loudly and took off, unfolding his wings and flapping with all his might against the incoming winds. Zoltan wondered what Firnest was and how important it really was.

"Firnest is the very core of our strength." Starstrike said.

"How do you know what I am thinking?" asked Zoltan.

"We are joined in our minds. Anyway, Firnest was the home of all the Thirteen Protectors of Space, now only the home of mine. Ghastfall defeated all of our Protectors except for me because I was too quick and powerful. I was hunting when Ghastfall and Crinapp laid siege to our home. By the time I returned it was too late, ten of the towers were burning, while three were still left. My two strongest trainees were still fighting back. When I was able to join the fight, one of them had fallen and the other was heavily wounded. As I drove Ghastfall and Crinapp back, Ghastfall hit me with his tail, sending me flying into another tower, destroying it. That was all they needed......by the time I flew back, Ghastfall and Crinapp were gone, along with eleven of the Protector's Summoning stones. The last one besides mine was never found. When I saw that I was one of the last dragon's alive, it was too much for me to process. I launched myself into a deep hibernation in my stone and launched myself off the island. My stone flew for many days before landing in the forest where you found me." said Starstrike.

"We are returning to my tower so that we can practice and study under the oldest and strongest dragon...Ripflame." Starstrike said.

"I thought you said you were the last of the Thirteen protectors of Space!" exclaimed Zoltan. "Now we can have a chance at beating Ghastfall and Crinapp!"

"I am the last, but Ripflame is not one of the Thirteen Protectors of Space. Crinapp does not know he exists, so we will be trained by him."

There was a small strip of land in the ocean and they were flying towards it. As they got nearer, Zoltan saw a hill moving. The Earth underneath the tower stirred and lifted, breaking a tower to ashes. Zoltan gasped. What he had seen as a hill was the body of a dragon. The Earth was a wing, and the trees were actually spikes! The head was a small mound of dirt and a small mountain was the horns. The entire Island seemed to stir and shift as the dragon slowly rose up, raised it's wings and flapped hard. The sound that followed each flap was deafening. The dragon swiveled in one spot until it sighted Zoltan and Starstrike. It rushed at them with it's maw open and flames rushing out like streamers in the wind.