Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Broken
(2.01)

In an underwater cave by the Mermaid Lagoon in Neverland, a mermaid watched as her four-year-old daughter toddled around the edges of the land

"Mama," The girl called out, her hair wet as she giggled and jumped back into the water, seeing her mother.

"That's good, my dear," Atargatis praised. "I want you to learn something. Do you know how we say hello? I want to teach you how to say goodbye."

The mermaid grabbed her child's hand and opened a portal. They traveled to a different ocean, one where the water was darker, with a small wooden ship in the distance. The mother opened her mouth, and a beautiful song started to echo into the area. The small fishing boat started to row toward the mother and daughter.

The girl watched with a wondrous stare as the boat arrived, two men staring at her mother in wonder. A man leaned closer to her mother, a gaze in his eyes that the small child identified as love. Before she knew it, her mother violently clasp the sides of the man's head and pull him underwater. She did the same with the other man quickly. Afterward, she wrapped an arm around her daughter, the two watching the bodies sink.

"That is how we say goodbye, my dear, to those who are human." The mother hugged the silent child. "You want to be like your mother, don't you, Anastasia? You will learn very soon."

...

Hayden stood in silence, glancing at Belle, who gave her a confused glance. The girl repeated her question again, asking Belle who it was that she just named.

"You-you don't remember Peter?" Belle clarified, mouth hanging open. Hayden shook her head cautiously, unsure whether the princess was playing some sort of trick on her.

"What are you talking about?" She glanced at Belle, then back at Gold, who was looking away from her. She knew that look. She clenched her jaw, walking towards the man.

"What did you do?" The teenager spat at him, pushing him slightly, fueled by foreign anger. "There are gaps in my memory. I know there are. What did you do?!"

"I did what was best, dearie." The Dark One told her, turning to walk away. Hayden threw her hand out, sending him flying backward. He stumbled, falling on the ground.

"You do not know what is best!" Hayden stepped towards him. She kneeled down, facing him. "Tell me what you did."

"Before the curse hit, the evil queen's potion, remember?" The Dark One sneered at her, unwilling to look afraid. "Before the curse hit, she slipped it to you, thanks to me."

"The potion--" Hayden blinked, remembering the Evil Queen seizing her in Emma's nursery and forcing a liquid down her throat. "You gave me a potion to make me forget."