Chapter 8

Chapter 8: The Crocodile
(2.03 - 2.04)

For a girl that grew up in a place where time stands still, Anastasia never felt that way

For a girl that grew up in a place where time stands still, Anastasia never felt that way. Neverland's power breathed with her, but the youthful effects were made apparent only by word to mouth. Her mother didn't age because she was a god. Mermaids she encountered didn't live long enough to show a cease in age. She was immortal; her body would soon stop aging, but for now she still grew with each passing second. She watched the island itself vary in its time loop, with the crash of waves, the calm days and the windy ones.

When Anastasia was little, she would create balls of water, turn them into ice, and shatter them into snow for fun. On the beach, with the two boys in front of her, her body felt like the water. Time stood still for the first time in her life, and all she could do was be at its mercy. She was frozen, stuck in an eternal loop glancing between the both of them. And when she looked at the older boy with brown hair and green eyes, she feared she might shatter into snow.

It had been so long, that even with the fairies enthusiasm, she wondered if the boy she knew when she was younger was a figment of her imagination, a product of her loneliness. Maybe he still was, and in front of her was just someone who looked eerily like an older version of him.

And had the same name.

"Peter, Rumplestiltskin, I'm Anastasia," she managed to get out, stepping forward and standing straighter. "I inhabit this land. What brought you here?"

"She's scary," the younger boy, Rumplestiltskin, shielded himself behind the older one. Peter pushed Rumplestiltskin further behind him. He too stood straighter, staring down at Anastasia, who was only slightly shorter than him. Both their eyes started to wander. Anastasia took notice of his porcelain skin, soft nose, and full lips. She pressed her lips into a thin line, swallowing. When she looked back up at him, he was staring at her with his eyes widened, mouth dropped open.

"You!" He took a step back from her, pushing Rumple back with him. "You're the girl from my dreams!"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Anastasia dismissed, turning to the side. She hid her face, whilst also closing her eyes. She couldn't bear to look at him again.

"I know you remember. I can see it on your face." He begged. Even his voice was familiar to her, although it had dropped a few octaves from when they first met. Still, he had that accent, one she hadn't heard before she met him. "Please, help us."

"If you know I remember, then you know what comes next." Anastasia turned back to him with cold eyes, holding out her hands. Peter's feet start to sink into the sand. "It's time for me to say goodbye to you."

Before Peter could open his mouth in protest, Anastasia felt a press on her palm. She jumped, flicking her hand and sending a gust of wind towards the source. Turning to her side, she saw the younger boy laying in the sand, knocked over by the force.