Chapter 1 - first day

"Max, we have to go!" Sara calls me from downstairs as I still do my hair. "I'll be down in a second!" I yell back to her.

Today is my first day of teaching at my old school. Am I nervous? Hell yes. But I'm also excited, a lot. Everyone I know thinks I'm stupid for going back to school when I basically just finished it. I'm 22, might be young for a teacher but it's what I want. And they can criticize me as much as they want but I don't care. My school days have been shit and mostly because of my teachers. I don't want others to have a similar experience with me, so I'll be a better teacher.

The only two people who have been very supportive of what I want are my best friends Cassy and Josh. Sadly I don't see them that much right now. Cassy is busy with modeling gigs and Josh is busy too with his job. But it's alright, we're managing it.

The girl, who's calling me is my little sister Sara. She's eight years old and the best thing in my life. Our parents are traveling a lot because of their work, so we barely see them. That's why Sara and I live together in a small apartment. Our parents send us some money every month for rent and call sometimes but that's it. I'm used to it but I hate it for Sara. She deserves to have her parents around, especially since she's still so young. But there's nothing we can do about it, so we'll live with it.

I look into the mirror, taking a deep breath. My dark brown hair falls perfectly down my shoulders. Maybe I should get a haircut. I always wanted a wolfcut . But with shorter hair, over my shoulder length. My bangs are getting messy too. Maybe I can make a appointment after work.

I decided not to do a lot of makeup. Just a eyeliner, lipgloss and some eye makeup that emphasizes my eyes and my brown skin. Since my body is full of tattoo I decided to wear something more..covering for my first day. I don't know how the other teachers would feel about me showing all my tattoos.

My parents are both originally from Mexico, so I'm fluent in both English and Spanish. Sara doesn't know that much Spanish as I did when I was her age but I'm trying to teach her as much as I can and as much as she wants to.

Our abuela taught me most of the Spanish I know. I practically grew up at her place, again because of my parents work. But because our abuela lives too far away now we can't visit her as much as we used to.

I'll get pushed out of my thoughts when I hear Sara call me again. "Coming!" I call back before quickly rushing downstairs. I quickly put on my shoes and coat and grab my bag and hers before opening the front door.

"Let's go."

*****

I just parked my car at the schools parking lot. So many memories flash into my mind when I see the school again. Since we moved towns this is Sara's first day at this school too. Before she used to go to go the the school in our old town. After I finished high school back then Sara and I moved away because it was closer to my university and now we're back. Of course I didn't do all of that without Sara being okay with it. She's my biggest priority and I wouldn't do anything she didn't like and agree with.

"Are you nervous about your first day?" I ask Sara as we get out of the car. She shrugs. "A little. But mostly a good nervous, you know? What about you?" She replies with a small smile, looking up to me.

I sigh deeply. "Very much, yes." I groan, which makes her chuckle. "You worry too much, you'll do great." Sara tells me, making me smile. "You're the best, you know that?" I say to her while patting her head gently and she smiles at me sheepishly.

We then walk inside the building and I walk with Sara to her classroom. "Can we spend lunch together?" She asks shyly, turning to me in front of the classroom door. I smile at her. "Of course we can." I tell her softly and she starts to smile at me widely. "See you later!" She says cheerfully before hugging me tightly and then leaving to go inside the classroom.

I should get going to the teachers lounge to get my schedule..