Chapter 25 - disaster

Four months have passed and Grace has been acting..strange. Lately she has been so..distant and kinda weird. I'm currently on my way back home when I see a car parking next to my parking lot. I frown at that while parking my car. Then I get out and walk over to the door before opening it.

But when I go inside I'm face to face with a full on disaster. Grace is sitting on the couch, red and puffed face, looking like she has been crying. In front of her is standing a woman. Around middle aged. She has blonde hair, obviously very styled, and looks very..formal and professional.

"What's going on?" I ask as the door shuts behind me, making them both turn to me. When Grace sees me her eyes widen and she quickly tries to wipe her tears away without me seeing it. But then my eyes wander over to the woman, who looks a lot like Grace. Wait..is that her mother?!

The woman raises her eyebrow at me as she walks towards me. I gulp. "Who are you?" She asks curiously, looking me up at down, obviously judging me. "Uhm.." I glance over to Grace, who on that gets up and quickly walks over to us. "Mom, this is Maxine. My..girlfriend." She tells her mom, on which her eyes widen in shock and my heart falls into my pants.

"It's..nice to meet you." I hold out my hand out for her mother to shake but she just looks down at my hand and then back up to me. "You're not going to be with a woman, especially not someone like her! We had this conversation many times before and this decision is not going to change. We're leaving, now and you'll marry William next week! End of discussion!" Was the only thing her mother says while grabbing her bag. I frown at that. "What does she mean? What's going on?" I ask Grace while turning to face her. On that she starts tearing up again. "Max, I-" her voice breaks at that, so I instantly wrap my arms around her and pull her into me for a hug.

But on that she pulls away from me and takes a step back. "I-I'm sorry." She croaks out before grabbing her suitcase and leaving with her mom. I just stood there, shocked. What just happened? Did she just..leave me? Is this how we end?

Without thinking I take my phone and call Gabe. "Please come over quickly." Is all I manage to get out before breaking into sobs. "What's going on, Max? Is everything okay?" Gabe asks worriedly as I sit down on the couch, trying to calm my breath. "Please just come here." And with that he tells me he's coming over and then hangs up. A few minutes after the doorbell eventually rings.

Right when I open the door I hug Gabe tightly, which he almost instantly returns. "Oh my god, what's going on? You're scaring me! And where's Grace?" He asks worriedly, holding onto me gently. On that I start crying again. After a few minutes of me crying in his arm we eventually go to sit down on the couch together after I calmed down a little.

"I don't really know what to say, I guess I'm still in shock." I start as I try to calm my breath down. On that he gently takes my hand, making me smile a little. I take a deep breath. "When I got home like- half an hour ago I uh..I guess met Grace's mom? Well it didn't end well. She said that Grace could never date someone like me and that they had some kind of conversation before and then they left. Grace just..left." I explain him, trying as hard as possible to fight the tears from escaping my eyes.

"Fuck, I'm so sorry, Max. I really hoped it wouldn't come to this since you guys have been so amazing together." Gabe mumbles softly, which makes me stop and look up at him with a frown. "What do you mean?" I ask confused. On that he sighs deeply. "Look- as you know Grace's family is..a little crazy and you know her mother wants her to marry William for the wealth and stuff like that." He takes a break and I nod at him. "Believe me, she doesn't want what she's doing right now. She loves you more than anything else, trust me. But her mom..let's just say she has a lot of power. And she told her that if she doesn't marry William she'll loose everyone, cut off completely."

My heart breaks at that. I knew her mom isn't great but this horrible? Fuck

"We definitely have to get her out of there." I say to Gabe and he nods immediately. "Let's crash a wedding."