Nine

THE EXHILARATED screams echoed in the park as the roller coaster spun in a loop, carrying many passengers, including Munhye and Jay

THE EXHILARATED screams echoed in the park as the roller coaster spun in a loop, carrying many passengers, including Munhye and Jay. Despite everyone screaming, Munhye was busy choking on her laughter as her eyes peered to her side, where Jay sat.

He was shouting so loudly that it boomed her ears, yet she didn't mind- she found it hilarious. He was expecting a fun ride but the second he was strapped onto his seat, he was having second thoughts over his decisions.
"OH MY GOSH- WHY DO PEOPLE-"

His shout of help was interrupted by another high-pitched scream as they looped around the roller coaster. Through her strands of hair, Munhye's eyes glimmered in glee, a loud cackle rumbled from her stomach.

"HOLY SH-"
As if it was out of a comedy movie, his curses were covered by the girl's infectious laughter. Munhye held her stomach as one of her hands covered her mouth, laughing her guts outs whilst Jay sat soullessly on the bench.

"A-are you okay?" She trembled, holding herself back her fits as sympathy took over her. He slightly shook his head- so softly that she had almost missed it. "Do you want to take a break? We can visit some food stalls if you'd like." The previous jest in her voice dissolved into a state of worry as she stood in front of him, observing for any signs of illness from him.

"Don't worry, robots can't get sick so easily. I'm just shocked by how terrifying roller coasters are." Jay assured, "It felt like my heart was about to jump out when I was hanging upside down on my seat."

The latter tittered, "That's what makes roller coasters fun."
"I felt like I was going to die!" Jay passionately retorted.
"Come on now, that's an exaggeration."
"I- HOW IS THAT AN EXAGGERATION?"

It was safe to say the pair continued bantering for the rest of their walk to the food stall. The stopped at a corndog stall, ordering one for themselves with their own seasonings. Munhye covered hers with sugar while Jay drizzled mayo, ketchup and chili sauce on his. The girl gasped as the cheese kept stretching endlessly, struggling to cut the long string off. Jay snickered, finding entertainment in watching her struggle.

"Do you need help?"
"How ar-...you suppos- to -elp me?"
Jay guessed she was trying to say, 'How are you supposed to help me?' but with her mouth full, her words became muffled and difficult to understand. His hand reached for the wooden stick attached to her corndog and twirled the cheese around it, snapping he string in half.

Munhye stared at him in wonder and chewed quickly, harshly swallowing her food down. "How did you do that?"
"The cheese has hardened by now, so it was much easier to break."
"I know and I tried to do the same thing, but it didn't work."
"It's because you didn't use enough speed."

"Okay, genius." Munhye rolled her eyes. Jay looked at her with wide eyes as if he has something to rebuke with her statement but instead, he sealed his lips shut.

As a comfortable silence fell between them, Munhye can't help to notice the little things happening around them. The toddlers running around clasping on their mother's hand, begging for another round and people laughing as they discussed about their previous ride. There was an elderly seated not far from them, surrounded by their beloved family members, catching up on their lives. Everything left a mark on her heart. Happiness. It mended her to see those daily interactions since she didn't get to experience that as a toddler.

Noticing her silence, Jay looked at her, examining her expressions as he tried to identify her emotions. The wind blew through her hair causing her to blink as she took another bite of her corndog. Was she happy? Or was she sad? Or was it neither of them?

His shoulder dropped. Why is she so hard to read? Wasn't he designed to understand humans? Yet why was is it so difficult for him? Everything she does always surprises him and how her mood can change so easily—from bad to good. It was all confusing to him.

One day she'll be humming to a song and fold her clothes while listening to loud music in the background. The next day, she'll be completely soundless—even her footsteps are silent. Jay shook his head in disapproval.

"Why?" Her question broke the comforting atmosphere as she stared at him with curiosity, keen to hear his answer.
"Nothing."
"Don't lie."
"Human are just-" He paused, choosing the correct words to string an answer. "Different."

She pointed at him with her wooden stick, "I'll take it as a compliment." She said leisurely, "Besides, it's undeniable that as similar as we can get, AIs will never be the same as humans."

Jay hummed in agreement. That's true. No matter how intelligent technology will develop later, it will never compare to humans—a creation with far more depth than mere robots. Humans have a childhood, each different although similar while robots don't. They are designed with data of the world since the ancient times. So, for them, they can't exactly experience the feeling of nostalgia.

Munhye tapped the table, standing up to her feet. "Do you want to ride anything else before we eat dinner?"
"I want to ride carousel!"
"Alright."

Just like his request, they lined up for the ride. It was mostly children in the line as their parents were kept an eye on them from afar. Munhye hasn't gone on a carousel for years- in fact it has been years she had last gone to an amusement park. She was pushed lightly by Jay, who ushered her to march forward as the line began to dissipate. 

"Which horse are you picking?" 
"The brown one."
"Then, I'll pick the one next to it."
Munhye isn't a short person. Her height is considered average from where she came from, but she was having difficulties on climbing the horse. Her face flushes into a bright shade of red as she attempted to climb the horse again which went into vain, humiliating the latter even more. 

Without a word, Jay took her bag from her hold and extended his hand out. Munhye accepted and jumped over the horse for the umpteenth time. This time, she had finally succeeded as his hand supported her from the bottom, pushing her by her thighs.

 "Thank you." She murmured, yearning for her to be engulfed by the ground in that moment.
"You're welcome."

She didn't notice that they were the last ones to hop onto their horses until she met multiple pair of eyes staring at her blankly. "Oh, kill me already." She cursed, hitting her head on the golden pole. 

In that moment, the carousel began spinning as the horses climbed up and down. She looked at her side to find Jay grinning ear to ear like a child. She seemed to have forgotten about her embarrassment as a smile cracked on her lips. She should just enjoy this moment while it lasts. Not caring about any mishaps that might happen later. 

She nodded to herself, glancing over to the AI one last time before enjoying herself. 

 Don't forget to vote, comment and vote!!💕💕💕

💕💕💕