Chapter 9

Alrighttt I'm back guys!! Sorry for the break! Hope you enjoy the chapter:)

~

"I told you it would work out!" Hinata called out with a radiant smile once they had left the court, and with it Shiratorizawa's players, behind. His face was still sweaty, his eyelids droopy from exhaustion, but he shone just as bright as usual. "I told you we could do it!"

Tobio was still stunned into silence as Hinata's body crashed into his in an exuberant hug. The impact made him stumble a step back.

Throughout the last weeks, Hinata had become shockingly touchy with him, celebrating their wins with hugs and forced fist bumps and anything else he came up with in the spur of the moment. Each time, Tobio tried to predict what reaction Hinata expected of him—each time, Tobio failed. Hinata didn't seem to mind, though, and simply grabbed his wrist to raise it himself for a high-five. The arrangement worked, but Tobio was determined to foresee Hinata's form of celebration one day.

That day wouldn't be today, though; his head was too occupied. We won. We actually won. He told himself those words over and over. They would take part in the Spring Cup. With a breathy laugh, he squeezed Hinata a little lighter. "We did it," he mumbled into his shoulder, disbelieving.

"Hell yes, we did!" Tanaka shouted right next to him, and Tobio nearly jumped if it hadn't been for his utter exhaustion. "Nationals, here we come!" A loud clapping sound indicated that he and Nishinoya had high-fived each other.

"Believe me when I say that I'm just as happy about our victory as you are," Coach Ukai said, standing in the doorway between the gymnasium and the corridor towards the changing rooms, "but you should get out of the passageway. Go get changed already so we can leave and celebrate properly."

The team nodded in unison and the conversations picked back up as everyone slowly moved towards the doors of their changing room.

"Let go of me," Tobio grumbled, tired. Hinata was still dangling off of him, and his legs were trembling under the additional weight after this much exertion.

"I can't," Hinata groaned somewhere around the area of Tobio's shoulder. "My legs won't move a single inch anymore."

"They have to, though," Tobio retorted as he started to drag them both through the hallway. When he felt the grip of Hinata's legs around his waist loosening, he stopped to give him a chance to stand on his own feet.

Already when the team stepped on the bus, it was obvious that they would all fall asleep fairly quickly. There was none of the usual banter or jokes, no conversations about the game or anything else.

"I know you're all tired," Daichi said, once everyone had sat down and the bus started driving, "but as your captain and vice-captain, Suga and I thought of something to celebrate our win as a team."

Curious, Tobio listened up. Hinata, who was sitting on the window seat, was leaning over him to look at their captain while he was talking.

"You're piercing my leg with your elbow," he hissed under his breath.

Hinata moved his arm away. "But I wanna see something, too!"

"We are exceptionally proud of every single one of you and for your efforts to get our team to the next stage. You all deserve a break, s-"

"We're inviting you to an amusement park visit!" Sugawara exclaimed, before Daichi had the chance to finish his sentence, earning himself a sharp glare. Immediately, he pulled up his shoulders and leaned back into his seat, but the grin on his face didn't look like he was particularly cowed.