God's Country

The screen door slammed loudly behind her as her bare feet met the gravel that covered the driveway. She had finally had enough. She could feel the rocks underneath her cutting through her skin as she ran towards the truck. She nearly dropped the keys as she slowed herself down before she got to the door. With shaky hands, she tried desperately to unlock it, cursing each passing moment. The sound of the screen door opening again only caused her to shake more. He was yelling for her to come back, but she wouldn't. Not this time. She finally got the key in the lock and turned it before she flung the door open as fast as possible. She climbed into the drivers seat and slammed in behind her, she made sure to press the lock down just before he could get ahold of the handle. His fist banged loudly on the window while the other hand frantically tried to reopen the door.

"You're gonna regret this," he yelled through the glass.

The engine roared to life and she glared back at him as she pressed her middle finger against the window in his face. She would have spit on him if she could, but she wasn't about to risk opening the window to give him access. She put the truck in reverse and slammed on the gas. He ran towards her and she briefly contemplated putting the thing back in drive to run him over, but he wasn't worth life in prison. He tried to block her, but failed. She was gone. She watched the gravel fly from the rear view mirror with an astonished smile. She started to laugh as he faded into the night behind her. She was free. She had left before, but there was something different about this time. She knew she wasn't coming back. She could tell by the weight that steadily lifted off of her with each mile she put between them. His spell had worn off, she saw him for who he truly was. A liar, a cheat and a man who couldn't keep his hands off her in the worst way. She had bruises, but they would fade. Just as he had in the rear view mirror. There were some scars however that wouldn't, but she was glad. It would only remind her to keep driving. She hit the highway and floored it. She watched the speedometer rise all the way up to eighty and rolled the windows down to feel the wind in her hair. She didn't have any idea where she was going, but she didn't care. Anywhere was better than Houston and anyone was better than him. She rubbed her cheek where the back of his hand had landed just before she left. It's sting had lingered and an ache was settling deep in her jaw bone. She cursed him before she turned the radio on. She turned the music up as loud as it could go to drown out his memory. He wasn't worth another thought. Though, she'd allow herself one more, one that made her smile. Her fist ached too, and with good reason. She hadn't been the only one left with a bruise or too that night. It would be at least a few weeks before those pretty green eyes could wink at the next unfortunate woman to cross his path. She wondered what story he'd tell cause it certainly wouldn't be the truth, but let him. She'd never know and she'd never care anyhow.

She tore out of Harris County fast as she could. It wasn't long before she was on the two lane highway that would eventually lead her out of Texas. She'd only ever left once, she had never been much of a traveler, but the idea had suddenly become alluring. A place where no one knew her name, her past or anything in between was just what she needed. She had been under that town's sympathetic gaze for far too long and she hated being pitied. She hated being his victim. There was so much more to her than 'poor Ronnie'. What states were next to Texas? She figured in the direction she was headed it must be New Mexico. She liked that idea. She checked the gas and by some miracle the tank was full. By tomorrow night, she'd be in Santa Fe if she kept on like this. Not a part of her body was tired, she knew she could do it. She kept her eyes on the headlights that cut through the dark Texas night with a smile on her lips. With each passing mile, freedom just kept getting sweeter.

The hours passed by and soon the sun was high up in the sky casting its scorching heat down on the old asphalt road she was on. She hadn't stopped thus far, but her mouth was getting dry and the gas tank was almost in need of a drink as much as she was. Amarillo was already at least an hour behind her which meant rest stops were few and far in between. She had underestimated just how long this stretch of nothing would go on for. She kept on for a few more miles and waited to see how far the next town was but the sign never seemed to come. She let out a sigh and pressed on the brake to park on the side of the road so she could pull out her map. It was desolate out here, no sign of life in sight. Just before the car came to a stop she felt one of the tires roll onto something sharp enough to pop it. The car ground to a halt.

"Damnit," she whispered before she turned the engine off.

She looked down the road ahead and behind her but didn't see a sign that anyone was nearby. She had never changed a tired before and knew without a helping hand, it was going to take awhile for her to figure out. She let out a sigh as she threw her boots on, pushed open the car door and stepped out into that familiar and unforgiving Texas heat. It was so bright it was almost painful to keep her eyes fully open, though she wanted to take in her surroundings. Nothing but grass, most of it brown and a few patches of green lay sprawled out for miles. The sky was blue as ever with a few clouds scattered near the sun and a hawk making lazy circles overhead. There was no doubt it was hot, but for now the sun felt good on her skin. She walked to the back of the truck and climbed up to look in the bed. There was an old spare tire lying in the back, it would at least get her to the next town. She hopped in and grabbed it with both hands to toss it on the dead grass below. As she stood up she saw a figure walking up the road towards her. She let out a sigh of relief, she must have stopped on someone's land. At least they'd be able to help and maybe point her in the right direction. She climbed out of the bed and jumped down to the ground. She brushed the dust off her hands and waved down the figure. It was steadily getting closer and she could make out that it was a man. He was much larger than any she'd ever seen, dressed in a green shirt and pants with a dirty white apron on top. He had what looked to be a mask covering his face from the nose down and dark messy curls atop his head. To most, he might have been considered frightening, but she wasn't one to judge. She had no reason to think anything bad of him, not yet at least. He was a stranger, but she needed the help and from the look of it, he would have no trouble getting the truck jacked up. He was just a few feet away now and she gave him a smile.

"Hi," she said to the towering man, "mind helping me change a tire?"