Hey Driver

Her frail arms returned his embrace, weaker than he remembered, but just as comforting. He clung to her, afraid that if he let go she'd disappear into thin air before his eyes. He ignored the bus driver's honking as he stepped back to let the doors close, carrying Luda with him as he did so. He wasn't about to let the man's impatience ruin this reunion that he believed impossible. He was so sure she had died, whether it was the fire or time that had killed her he had never decided, but to have her there caused him to unravel. To feel her hand reach it's way up to the back of his head so she could comfort him as he sobbed was something he hadn't realized he needed so desperately. She was just as undone as he was, her tears seeped through his shirt to rest on his chest as she hugged him as tightly as she could.

"Oh, I thought I'd never see your sweet face again," she said with a sniffle, "I never thought- Tommy, I'm so sorry I wasn't here sooner."

He hunched over and buried his face in the crook of her neck to let his tears fall unseen as she held him. The bus had long since left and he didn't care at all. Mama was there, telling him it was okay, that he was okay when he was so far from it in that moment. Ten years of grief stained her shoulders as she let him cry until he finally took a deep breath and lifted his head.

She rested her hand on his cheek as he looked down at her, smiling through the bittersweet tears that continued to pour out. She looked different, worn from traveling. Her hair had lost its gray and instead, turned a stark white. It was thinner too, he noticed as the breeze sent the wispier strands around her face flying. Though she smiled up at him, he could see the sadness that lingered behind it. She knew. Her nose scrunched up before she lowered her head and brought her hand back to wipe some of her tears away.

"I didn't wanna be there for it," she said softly, "'spose that's why I came late, just wanted to hear the news firsthand, I guess. I didn't expect to see you here neither."

She lifted her head again, squinting in the sunlight as she studied his somber expression, "He's gone, idn't he?"

Thomas nodded his head and she let out a relieved sigh, "You know, I felt it. It was like suddenly the air was easier to breathe in, not quite as dense as it was while he was here."

A silence fell over them when he gave her soft smile in agreement. He lowered his gaze to her feet and her brow furrowed as more tears started to sting her eyes.

"Thomas, I'm so sorry," Luda whispered with a crack in her gentle tone.

It stung a bit, because he knew what she meant. She wasn't sorry for Hoyt, it was Ronnie that had caused pain to break her voice.

"I tried to stop him, but after you two left, he changed. He'd been bad before, but somethin' inside him got worse and if I'm bein' honest, I think it drove him mad. He stayed down there for a few days, lyin' on that table. He could move, he just didn't feel like it I guess, so he didn't. I kept thinkin' I should have wanted to check in on him, as awful as that man was, he was my son, but I just couldn't do it. I don't know if it was fear or anger that kept me away, but I didn't wanna see him. When he finally came back upstairs, that's when Monty and I saw it. He was quiet and we both know that idn't-" she stopped and shook her head as she pressed her lips together before she continued, "wudn't like him. He kept his head down, stayed clear of me and Monty like he'd catch sick or somethin', but he watched. Sometimes from that car, even though it didn't drive no more, sometimes from his chair like he did when he had you down there in the basement. It was like he was waitin' for somethin' to crawl outta there, a sign of sorts. I kept wantin' to figure out what it was he was thinkin', but Thomas I couldn't look at him, it scared me stiff to. His eyes were so black, even after the bruises faded, they were so dark, empty. I knew it was only a matter of time 'til whatever it was goin' on in his head made itself known and it did. It did."