It Just Comes Natural

⚠️Warnings: mentions of suicide, some gore⚠️

Ronnie was eerily silent for the rest of that day and the one that followed. She kept her eyes down as she got through each task asked of her. Between Luda and Thomas, they made sure she wasn't left alone after what had happened. They knew better than to leave her out in the open for more of Hoyt's torment. Luda had even neglected the gas station for the time being. She was used to Hoyt's constant reign of terror, but even she was under the belief he'd gone too far. It was painful to watch him humiliate the poor girl in such a malicious way. She was worried he may have broken her after all and though she wouldn't admit it, she didn't want her to break. She quite admired her desire to challenge Hoyt, she respected it. Ronnie had been there longer than most who passed through the Hewitt household and she had managed to keep her sanity thus far. Luda knew that was no easy feat. She'd seen many slip after only days within the house, but not her. She refused to. She wondered though if he had pushed her limit, because her eyes didn't have that fire in them that morning. She watched her sort through the day's laundry with a cold, blank expression. Her stare was empty as she worked. It was as if her body was simply on autopilot. Luda could tell her mind was far away.

Hoyt traipsed through the room and grabbed one of the shirts she has just folded. He stood over her as he slowly buttoned it up. Luda watched him from under her brows as he smiled down at the silent girl. She shook her head and tried not to focus on it too much.

"Seems we finally got that filthy mouth reigned in, didn't we Mama?" He said before he bent down to try and force Ronnie to look at him.

She continued to fold the shirt she had in her hands. He grabbed her chin and lifted her face to him. She kept her eyes straight, though she was bubbling with rage. She didn't have the energy to fight him today. He rolled the dip in his lip as he nodded his head.

"Quiet as a church mouse," he muttered before he grinned down at her, "I think I like you better like that."

He patted her cheek before he turned away from her, "Guess I'll go on down to the station if you ain't gonna."

"You just do that," Luda said without so much as a glance in his direction.

Hoyt scoffed at her cold tone. Luda kept her focus on the laundry as Ronnie did. He narrowed his eyes at the two of them before he grabbed his hat and exited the room without another word. Ronnie waited until she'd heard the front door close to pause and let her eyes close. It brought her some relief that his presence was no longer in the house, but the air still felt so stifling. The way the heat hung around them was making the room feel smaller. It was beyond claustrophobic and her head was already buzzing in such a maddening way. She let out a slow breath before she opened her eyes to find Luda watching her sympathetically. Ronnie wondered if perhaps she could hear the storm raging in her head too.

"Luda," Ronnie started, "sorry. Mama?"

"You don't have to call me that if you don't want to, girl," Luda said softly.

She gave Ronnie a small smile as she waited for her to continue. She could tell Luda felt incredibly guilty, which she hoped she could use to her advantage.

"I need to take a walk," she said.

Luda set the shirt she was holding down and sighed, "Ronnie-"

"I ain't gonna run," Ronnie interrupted, "I know better. I'll be back to help you set the table."

"Go," Luda said with that same sympathetic smile, "just be back before sunset."

Ronnie's surprise at her answer was evident as she hesitated to stand.