Natural Born Killer

Hunger began to make the days go by painfully slow. They went to bed with empty stomachs and woke to them too. Water was the only thing keeping the Hewitts going, Ronnie included. She was beginning to feel it's affects just as much as the rest of them. She also noticed without 'food' to prepare, there wasn't much to do around the Hewitt household. Laundry was just about the only thing to worry about and even that became less and less. Ronnie had fallen into somewhat of a routine with them. She figured letting them think she was getting comfortable was the best way to open up a way out. She needed them to trust her enough to leave her alone. Thus far, Luda stayed by her side throughout the day. Ronnie knew it wasn't just to show her how to keep the household running anymore, the woman was making sure she didn't run. During the night, Thomas was there to keep guard, or so they thought. He was very aware of Ronnie's desires to escape. She spoke about it often. As the nights went on, it had become more painful for him to think about her leaving. He found himself looking forward to the end of each day when he could walk up those stairs and leave the basement behind him. He'd take his place on the floor and listen to her voice until they both drifted off to sleep. It made it hard to imagine life returning to the way it had been before her, but he knew it was only a matter of time until it did. He could tell she was going to try something soon and he knew he'd have to at least give her a fair shot at freedom. He didn't want her to see him as her captor. He hated to admit a part of him hoped she would fail and that he'd be allowed more time with her, but she had invaded his world so deeply. He couldn't help but think it. It made him feel guilty as he listened to her scheme in that sleepy voice he found so soothing. He knew better than to stop her, he would let her go if it came down to it. He would make good on his promise to let her story continue and content himself with being a memory that maybe she'd think on every now and then. If she even thought about him at all.

They woke once more to the sound of Mama calling them downstairs. Thomas stood before she did and allowed himself a glance at her tired form. Her hair was splayed out across her pillow and her cheeks had a red tint to them due to the heat that hung about the house. A faint layer of sweat rested on her skin, it almost made her sparkle. Mama called out again and she started to stir. As her blue eyes began to open, Thomas turned away and began his decent down the stairs. He heard her groan before she lifted herself out of the bed to follow him.

"Your Mama makes a good alarm clock, doesn't she," she muttered behind him.

Thomas smiled to himself before he made his way to the kitchen where Mama stood by the counter. Ronnie entered the room and stood next to Thomas as she braided her long hair to keep it out of her way for the day. His eyes betrayed him and he knew Mama had caught him watching Ronnie adjust her dress.

"Ronnie darlin', I've gotta work the station today. Now, Hoyt's gonna be out patrolling and Monty's comin' with me, but Tommy'll be here with you. There ain't much you need to get done, but maybe just wash up some of the dishes in case Hoyt brings home dinner," Luda said.

Thomas' heart sunk. He could feel Ronnie buzzing with anticipation next to him. Today was the day he'd have to say goodbye to her. She wasn't going to waste the opportunity Mama had unwittingly handed her.

"Yes ma'am," Ronnie replied with a genuine smile.

"You can call me Mama, you know," Luda responded as she made her way to the door.

"Right. Sorry, Mama," Ronnie said happily.

"I ain't ever seen her smile like that. You must be doin' somethin' right, Tommy. Make sure you keep her that way," Mama said before she shut the door.

He knew it wasn't anything he'd done. Mama had been the one to put that pretty smile on her face and for reasons she wouldn't like at all. That look stayed on Ronnie's face as she eagerly watched Mama disappear down the road. Thomas did his best to hide his dismay, he didn't want her knowing that he'd grown so fond of her. He watched as she stood on her toes to look out the peephole on the front door. Once she was confident Mama was gone she turned back to Thomas.