✦ sᴛᴀʀs ✦

about a week later

i was nearly asleep when my phone started to vibrate. i groaned, picking it up and checking the caller id. i saw that it was awsten and sat up, answering it. why on earth was he calling me at almost 1 am?

"don't you sleep?" i answered. i heard awsten chuckle on the other end of the line.

"sleep is for the weak. is your mom asleep, though?" he asked me.

"yes, because she—like any normal person—goes to bed at a reasonable time. don't you dare tell me you're waiting outside to sneak in, we've talked about this." i said. i heard him laugh again.

"i'm not, but get your shoes on. i'm picking you up."

"picking me up? awsten, it's almost one o'clock in the morning, where the hell are you taking me?"

"it's a surprise! i'll have you home before your mom wakes up, i promise. just be ready, i'll be there in five."

with that, he hung up before i could protest. thankfully, it was a friday night so there wasn't school the next morning. but wherever he was impulsively taking me, i hoped it was worth the lost hours of sleep.

i got out of bed and quietly slid on leggings, considering i was just wearing an oversized t-shirt, and also slid on a hoodie. it was may so it was already warm, but nights were still a little chilly. i brushed my hair out and popped a piece of gum before ever so quietly walking out of my bedroom.

thankfully, my mom was a heavy sleeper, so it wasn't likely that she'd hear me walk out of the house. i went to the front door and slid my converse on before opening the door and walking outside. sure enough, awsten's car was already out front and he was waiting for me.

i walked up to his car and got into the driver's side, giving him a blank stare when i got him. this just made him laugh more. i could have sworn he was on laughing gas or something that night.

"come on, just trust me. you're gonna love what i have planned." awsten said to me. i just sighed and got my seat belt on.

"you're lucky that i love you." i informed him.

"and i love you just as much. let's go!"

awsten drove, plugging his aux cord into his phone and playing I DONT KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME quietly. after all, it was still 1 am and we didn't want to wake up the entire neighborhood.

"i hope we kiss goodnight. it might just end my life." awsten sang, quietly. i smiled.

"but if you think that it's right, right, right, why don't we kiss goodnight?" i sang with him. singing with awsten to music we both enjoyed was one of my favorite things to do.

soon enough, awsten parked at a local 711 and we headed inside.

"grab as many snacks and drinks as you want. it's on me, baby." he told me. i giggled, running to the back of the store to grab snacks and drinks.

i grabbed doritos, combos, reese's, haribo gold bears (specifically haribo, nobody does it like them), and a two liter of dr. pepper for awsten and i to share. i didn't initially think he'd mind sharing the bottle with me since we had already kissed hundreds of times, but then i remembered he was a germaphobe and grabbed plastic cups. y/n being an observant girlfriend. go me!

i brought all the snacks and drinks to awsten and he paid for them at the counter before we headed back to his car. we got in and he turned the music back on before beginning to drive again.

"where to next?" i asked my boyfriend, curiously.

"it's a surprise." he reminded me, his voice sing-songy when he said the word 'surprise'. i should have known that he wasn't going to tell me, but it was worth a shot.