05

Taren Leinier's world had narrowed down to the edges of the thick glasses he wore. His sight may have been impaired, but thankfully not his other senses. The quack of a doctor told him there was a slight temporary side effect on the new medicine he devised for the headaches, but who would have known it would make him blind as a bat!

Irritated, he grudgingly admitted the concoction did help with the headaches, or he wouldn't be here right now, and here was far better than that drab, old house his uncle had stuffed him in.

Taren couldn't help but steal glances at the petite girl sitting just a few feet away. The glasses had some use after all, effectively concealing the admiration in his eyes--'Hold that thought! That didn't sound good at all!'

But he realized the moment he stepped into this room and caught his first, blurry glimpse of her, was when he had thrown caution to the wind. He could barely hide his elation at seeing her again. In his eyes she was still the same sweet girl he had met all those years ago. Of course she wouldn't remember him! That was almost next to impossible.

'I should be content just to know she's happy and doing well,'  sternly advising himself. He sighed and looked away, reluctantly. 'We live in very different worlds, and mine is--well, not a world she would want to live in.'

The professor's voice drawled on, something about Shakespeare's sonnets, as Taren's other senses skimmed the room. With his vision mostly toast, every sound, smell, and touch was heightened. Nothing was out of the ordinary as far as he can tell, if one would call all the giggling and excited whispering ordinary--

"Oh my gosh, did you just see him sigh? I want to hug him!" A girl in the last row, third seat from right, whispered to the girl next to her, who was busy putting something on her face.

Taren's ears twitched, almost losing his composure. 'Sigh? I never sigh!'

"Hey, Yuri!" The boy behind the preoccupied girl nudged her seat with his foot, her lipstick missing her lips. "Are you fixing your makeup in the middle of class? Guess the new student's your type, haha!"

"Shut up, jerk!" Yuri hissed.

'Seriously, these people...!' Taren desperately wanted to melt into his chair. He was glad he wore the stupid glasses. It would have been far worse!