Chapter 1

The coruscant underworld, a grimy, crime laced and corrupt place. Nevertheless that was the place that was my home.

As much as i despised this place as a young child, i could not fault my parents. After all, it was not the life they had willingly chose for their child.

My Father was a smuggler, illegally trading and selling what he could to support his family. This may make one assume he wasn't a good person- but i knew otherwise. Looking out for his family is what he held dearly and unfortunately there was no other way to go about this.

He was a deeply emotional man, who cared intensely about creating a brighter future and escaping this hell.

Constantly he would remind me of this by saying things like...

"y/n , i may not be proud of the man i am but just remember everything i do.

I do for you.

You are my hope, my motivation... and i know one day we will be able to live above the shadows and escape this place.

i promise."

At that time, i was maybe too young to fully understand his words. I never forgot them though.

Having a job like my fathers came with it's risks. Dangerous ones.

Stood behind the doorway, i peered into the dimly lit and small kitchen that my parents were in.

I knew it wasn't good to eavesdrop but i was curious to know what they were discussing. Therefore i decided to sit with my back to the wall and listened in.

"i leave for Kessel tomorrow, i don't know how long i will be" My Father stated.

"Kessel? Are you you crazy? What on earth do you have business there for?" My mother pressed with concern.

"I have landed a big job, a job that might finally get us out of this place."

"what job is this exaclty?" My mother questioned.

"I have managed to strike a deal with the Pykes by delivering a large amount of spice. The amount of credits they're offer—"

"The Pykes??! No...absolutely not. They're ruthless, if you're not careful you'll end up dead!"

She interrupted in disbelief at the fact he was even considering accepting.

"I know dear...I know. What other option do we have though? This is our only way out. I am only accepting the job because i want what's best for you, what's best for y/n."

"i understand you want that, more than anything. I want the same...but i can't risk losing you."

"With this job i'm at risk everyday, it's no different. I'm sorry but i have already accepted and will be leaving tomorrow." He shamefully replied but my mother couldn't argue any more.

Every time my dad would leave for longer periods of time i would be consumed by worry. Fear that one day he may not return home.

———

4 days later

Currently my mother and i were waiting at a ship docking station. She had received word from my father he was stopping by on his way.

Gazing up through massive tunnel, i watched all the busy ships from above, anticipation building up as i kept trying to spot the ship that belonged to my father.

At the very top, there was a bright daylight shining down. The world seemed so much promising up above there, yet so far away at the same time.