Chapter 6

"Aristotle's theory would not have been valid had it not existed in the realm of actuality and possibility. Think of it in terms of an oak tree.." Nicki's philosophy teacher droned on. God, he had the most boring voice.

It was only fifteen minutes into class and she was already doodling in her notebook, daydreaming. She looked at the date written on the top of her notes. Wednesday, January 15. Oh my god. Today made exactly three months since Mark..

She picked up her notebook and backpack and ran out of the room. She didn't care what the people in her class would think. She got to the girls bathroom and collapsed against the wall, chest heaving. She pulled her knees in close to her stomach and wrapped her arms around them. How could she forget? The break down hit her like a ton of bricks. There was a knock on the door.

"Nicki? Nicki I'm coming in okay?"

A girl from her class walked in, Rebecca. She and Rebecca weren't close, but they had shared three classes together. She was in Nicki's Italian class when Mark died. She sat down next to her on the floor.

"What happened in there?" She asked, genuinely concerned.

Nicki opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. Just a long moan and more heaving. "Mark," she managed to spit out.

"Aw sweetie I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do?"

Nicki shook her head.

"Well I'll at least tell Professor Hartley that you won't be coming back. He'll understand. Are you gonna be okay?"

The sincerity of her acquaintance helped Nicki calm down for a moment. She nodded to Rebecca. After a few deep breaths, she pushed herself up off of the floor. She glanced in a mirror to wipe off the streaks of mascara that were cascading down her face.

She left the bathroom and headed down the stairs to the exit of the building. There was no way she was making it through her two afternoon classes. She contemplated driving over to Lisa's, but she knew that she and Zach both worked until five every day, as did her father.

She pulled her phone from her pocket. She looked up at the dark grey sky, as if expecting some divine intervention. When no moment of clarity came to her, she pulled up her recent calls, pressed send, and held the phone to her ear.

It rang twice. "Hello?"

She became nervous and choked on her words. "H-hi Tyler. It's Nicki." They hadn't spoken since Sunday when he dropped her off at Lisa's after breakfast.

"Hey! What's up?" He sounded happy. She didn't want to bother him with her issues.

"Uh, you know. Nevermind. I shouldn't have called. I'll let you go." Her voice cracked when she spoke.

"No, no. What's going on? Are you okay?" When she didn't answer he asked, "Where are you?"

"I'm at school. I left class. Today.." she couldn't bring herself to say the words out loud.

"You clearly aren't okay. Listen, I just got out of practice. I'm gonna come pick you up. Salem State right?"

"No!" She said a little too loudly, "No, that's completely unnecessary. I just needed someone to talk to, and no one else is around."

"We're friends now, right? I take care of my friends. I'm coming whether you want me to or not," he said, not about to give in.

"If you're sure.. No. I can't just leave my car here." Why was she making excuses?

"Fine. Drive home, text me your address. I'll be there as soon as I can. Hang in there alright? Don't do anything stupid." Did he really care about her that much?