Chapter 26

Two Weeks Later

Nicki was lying in bed, tracing over her newly formed scar when Freddy walked in.

She looked up. “Hey bud.”

“Hey. Do you have a sec?”

“Does it look like I’m going anywhere?” she asked sarcastically. “Nah, really, of course I do.” She patted the bed next to her.

Freddy sat down hesitantly. If Nicki was reading him correctly, he felt awkward sitting on Tyler’s bed with his girlfriend. Since she got hurt, Tyler had been a little over protective. Of course Nicki liked it; she always felt safe when she was with him. But other people didn’t take so kindly to it.

“What’s up?”

Marshall came waddling into the room and jumped onto the bed. He sprawled himself out between Nicki and Freddy, stomach in the air. She giggled and started to pet him.

“I got in a fight with Evaline.”

Her head shot up. They never fought.

“About what?”

Freddy played with Marshall’s ears while he spoke. “I’m not even really sure. We were trying to figure out when she would come down next. Then she said that I should go up there, and I said fine. But we couldn’t agree on a date. And out of nowhere, she just starts screaming at me. Course, I’m an idiot, so I start yelling back. Then I asked her why we were yelling at each other. She didn’t answer. She just asked if I thought our relationship was worth it, because she was seriously starting to reconsider it.”

“Shit, Freddy. I’m so sorry. Do you want my opinion?”

“Please.” He sounded exasperated.

“Don’t quote me on this,” she started. “But it sounds like she just misses you. If there was no reason you started fighting in the first place, it means there’s something going on in her head that she hasn’t mentioned to you. Give her a little while to cool down, then call her again. Maybe face time her, so she can see you. It will remind her of how much she loves you. I know I can’t stay mad at that face,” she joked, hoping it might make him laugh.

He smiled and leaned over the bed to kiss her cheek. “You’re probably right. You’re the best.”

“Nah,” she said, waving him off. “Before you call though, make sure you know what you’re gonna say. And be nice. Start by apologizing. Then ask her what’s on her mind. If I were you, I’d plan something really romantic for the next time you see her. Surprise her with it.”

“She hates surprises.”

Nicki giggled. “So don’t I. But whenever Tyler does something I’m not expecting, I basically die. She’ll love whatever you do.”

“Will you help me?”

“Duh!” she said, giving him a smack on the chest.

Freddy grinned. “I can’t believe how much better you just made me feel.”

“I’m glad. You know I’ll never forget everything you did for Tyler and I. I’ll always be here to help you out,” she said, matching him with a grin of her own.

“I love you, Nicki. I’m really glad you’re alive,” he said, only half teasing.

She chuckled. “Love you too, Freddy. I’m pretty happy to be alive myself.”

“So how’s the scar? If you were a guy I bet it would get you a ton of pussy.”

“Freddy!” she shrieked, laughing hysterically. “Wanna see it? It’s soo weird.”