Chapter 18

“So, this is great and all, but why in the world did you bring me here? You know I don’t eat breakfast,” said Nicki’s father.

“I just thought it would be nice to take you out,” she replied.

She looked at Tyler nervously. What the hell was she supposed to say?

They had brought her father to IHOP to tell him that Tyler had asked her to move in with him. That way, in case he reacted badly, he couldn’t try to kill Tyler. And if he did, at least there would be witnesses. For the life of her, she couldn’t get the words out.

Tyler held her hand under the table.

“So where did you guys go for dinner last night?” he asked.

“Oh, just a place in the North End,” she said.

Tyler squeezed her hand. They had agreed that she would be the one to tell him.

“I took her to Terramia,” he said.

Her father’s eyes opened right up. Normally he needed coffee before that happened.

“Really,” he said skeptically. “Any particular reason?”

“Nope.”

“Yes.”

Damn it Tyler!

“I took her there because I wanted to ask her if she would move in with me.”

How was he so composed?

Her father nodded, understanding. “So you brought me here to ask my permission.”

“More or less,” Tyler said.

Nicki’s leg started to shake. It caused a mini earthquake on their table. Tyler grabbed her orange juice right before it tipped over.

“That’s thoughtful of you, Tyler. But you didn’t have to do that. She’s nineteen. She can make her own decisions.”

“Really?” she was astounded.

“Of course, sweetie. That being said, I would be the first person to let you know if I thought you were making a mistake. I trust Tyler to take care of you.”

“Thank you,” Tyler said.

He gave her hand another squeeze. Maybe it was going to be okay.

** * * * *

“Hey roomie,” Freddy said as he hugged Nicki. “Hope you guys had a good night. I know I did.”

Freddy had taken Evaline home and spent the night at her house. It worked out perfectly – he spent the night with her and Tyler and Nicki got the apartment to themselves.

She hugged him back. “We had a great night,” she said, grabbing her necklace.

“You’re welcome, by the way. I picked out that necklace.”

“But I bought it,” said Tyler, coming up behind Nicki. “You ready to go?”

She turned around to look at him. She decided to go with him to the Garden. She was wearing his jersey, and had made sure that her necklace was visible over it.

“Yeah, I’m all set. Glad you had fun last night, Freddy. I’ll see you Friday!” she said as she led Tyler out the door.

When they got into the hallway, he grabbed her face and kissed her.

“Are you sure you want to come with me? You’re gonna have a whole lot of nothing to do until the game starts.”

“I’m positive. I’ll keep myself entertained.”