Chapter 15

One Month Later

Nicki woke up to Tyler’s lips against hers. She grabbed the back of his head and pulled him closer.

“Good morning.”

“What a nice way to wake up,” she said when she opened her eyes.

She stretched and composed herself. Oh no.

“What time is it?” she asked him.

He groaned. “Almost time for me to leave.”

Nicki pouted. It was her first day of spring break, and Tyler had to go on a road trip. It was a four game stretch. The first was that night against the Penguins.

She rubbed her eyes, trying to wake up.

“Want me to make you breakfast before you go?”

“Only if you don’t mind…” he said, grinning.

It had become routine for Nicki to sleep over the night before Tyler left. She had gotten accustomed to making breakfast for him and Freddy every time she did. She got up out of bed, forgetting that she was only wearing his shirt. She pulled on a pair of pants and made her way to the kitchen. Freddy was at the island drinking coffee. He covered his eyes with his arm.

“Is it safe? Can I look?” he asked, teasing her.

He had walked in on her and Tyler last night. It was his fault. He should be expecting it by now. Nicki had spent a lot of time at the apartment lately, and at least half of it was with Tyler in bed. Or the shower. Or the couch, when Freddy wasn’t there. Even once on the island. They promised they would never tell Freddy, and laughed every time he sat there.

“Yes, you can look.”

“Good.” He faked a shiver. “I saw more of Ty last night than I ever wanted to. You weren’t so bad, though.”

Nicki laughed. “Well if I ever walk in on you and Evaline, I’ll make sure to make it nice and awkward for you.”

Freddy met Evaline when he was in Canada for school. He brought her down for a weekend a couple of weeks ago. She was pretty and had a sense of humor that challenged Freddy’s. Nicki thought they were perfect for each other. It had actually been Nicki that pushed Freddy to try to make things work with her. She was a student in Quebec, so it was hard for them to see each other. But he hadn’t given up on her and Tyler, so she wouldn’t give up on him. She had even gotten Evaline’s phone number. They hit it off really well.

“Speaking of Evaline, I’m going to pick her up today. She’s staying here her whole spring break. You don’t mind, do you?”

“Freddy, it’s your apartment. You don’t have to ask me that.”

“I know I don’t. But you basically live here. I just wanted to make sure it was okay with you.”

“Of course it is! I’m so happy for you. And she’s really awesome. You don’t mind if I hang out with you guys, do you? I have nothing else to do.”

It looked like the three of them would at least be spending the week together. Even though Freddy was there to take care of Marshall, Nicki still stayed over every time Tyler went away. Usually because Freddy begged her to, saying he would be bored by himself. They had grown even closer over the last month. And he had been teaching her how to play the guitar. She had become pretty good at it.

“Nah. But let’s establish a rule. If there’s any kind of clothing on or around the door, please don’t come in.”

“I’m not an idiot Freddy! We left a perfectly clear sign for you last night…”