Chapter 19

Nicki sat at the island in the kitchen staring at a blank piece of paper. She had decided to write Jason another letter. The more she waited to hear back from him, the more she worried. She gathered her thoughts and picked up her pen.

Jason,

I’m writing to you again because you never answered my other letter. I haven’t heard from you once since the trial. I’m starting to really worry about you. I hope you’re holding up okay. I guess I’m also writing to tell you that I moved out. The boy who was with me at your trial asked me to move in with him, and it’s just perfect. I really wish you were here to keep dad company. We miss you so much, Jase. I don’t care whether or not you did what they say you did. You’ll never stop being my baby brother. Please, I’m begging you, if you get this letter, find some way to let me know. It’s okay if you don’t want to write back. Just let me know that you’re okay. Please, Jase. I think about you every single day. I love you so much.

-Nicki

By the time she had finished writing, the entire page was drenched in tears. She hoped he would still be able to read it. Nicki folded it up and put it in the envelope that she had already filled out, sealing it with her tongue.

She put her head down on the island and cried. She was tired of holding it in. Footsteps raced towards her.

“Nicki, what is it?” Tyler asked. He sounded alarmed.

Nicki looked up at him and tried to speak. She choked on the words and started to heave. She felt

Tyler pick her up and bring her over to the couch. She curled up on his lap and cried into his neck.

“Shh, it’s okay. It’s okay,” he said, over and over. He held her close.

It took her nearly a half an hour to settle down. She had exhausted herself; she no longer had the energy to cry. Tyler waited patiently for her to speak. When she looked at him, she could read the worry in his eyes.

“I’m sorry, Ty. I’m so sorry.”

He kissed her forehead. “Don’t be sorry.”

She explained to him her situation with Jason. Since the trial, she hadn’t spoken about him once.

The wound was still too fresh. Apparently, holding it in all of that time just made it worse.

When she finished he asked, “Is there anything I can do?”

Nicki shook her head.

“If you don’t want to go tonight, I understand. Freddy can find someone else to go with him.”

She put her hand on his face. “I’m going to your game. I have the whole afternoon to pull myself together.”

Tyler turned his head and kissed the palm of her hand. It felt so nice.

“I won’t go out tonight. We can just come back here and go to bed,” he said.

She thought it over.

“You know what? No. Let’s go out tonight.”

He furrowed his eyebrows. She knew it probably didn’t make a lot of sense.

“There’s nothing I can do about this, Ty. Maybe I need to go out and have some fun.”

“Well, if you really want to. It doesn’t sound like a bad idea. Are you sure you’re up for it?”

She sniffled. “Yeah. I’m up for it.”

** * * * *

“You almost ready?!” Freddy called from the living room.