Columbia Correctional Institution

Dahmer was imprisoned at this facility until his death in 1994

Upon the sentence, Dahmer was transferred to the Columbia Correctional Institution. In the first year of his incarceration, Dahmer was placed in solitary confinement due to concerns for his physical safety they didn't want him to come into contact with fellow inmates. He received correspondence from individuals across the world, with several individuals donating money to him which he spent on items such as cassette recordings, stationery, cigarettes, and magazines. Upon Dahmer's request, after one year in solitary confinement, he was then transferred to a less secure unit, where he had to do a two-hour daily work detail cleaning the toilet block. His work would later be expanded to include cleaning the prison gymnasium. After his lengthy confessions in 1991, Dahmer had requested to Detective Murphy that he be given a copy of the Bible. This request was accepted and Dahmer then started to devote himself to Christianity so he could become a born-again Christian. When his father urged him he started to read creationist books from the Institute for Creation Research. In May 1994, Dahmer was baptized by Roy Ratcliff, a minister for the Church of Christ and a graduate of Oklahoma Christian University who he had met on April 20. This service was conducted in the prison whirlpool. Following Dahmer's baptism, Ratcliff would go and visit him every week. The both of them regularly discussed the prospect of death, and Ratcliff later would divulge that, in the months before his murder, Dahmer had questioned whether he was sinning against God by continuing to live. Referring to Dahmer's crimes in a 1994 interview with Stone Philips on Dateline NBC, Dahmer had noted: "If a person doesn't think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what's the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges? That's how I thought anyway." On July 3, 1994, an inmate, Osvaldo Durruthy, attempted to slash Dahmer's throat with a razor embedded in a toothbrush as Dahmer sat in the prison chapel after the weekly church service was ending. Dahmer received wounds but was not seriously hurt in the incident. According to Dahmer's family, he had been ready to die and accepted any punishment he might encounter in prison. In addition to his father and stepmother maintaining regular contact, Dahmer's mother, Joyce, also maintained regular contact with her son. Before the arrest, the two had not seen each other since Christmas in 1983. Joyce related in her weekly phone calls, whenever she expressed concerns for her son's physical well-being, Dahmer responded to the comments of the effect: "It doesn't matter, Mom. I don't care if something happens to me."