West Allis, Wisconsin

After his return to Ohio, Dahmer lived with his father and stepmother and insist on being delegated numerous chores to keep home self-occupied while he looked for work. He continued to drink heavily, and two weeks after he returned, he was arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct. He was fined $60 and was given a suspended 10-day jail sentence. Lionel tried unsuccessfully to wean his son off the alcohol. On December 1981, he and Dahmer's stepmother sent him to live with his grandmother who was the only family member Dahmer displayed any affection towards. They hoped that her influence, plus the change of location, might've persuaded Dahmer to quit drinking, find a job, and live responsibly. Dahmer's living arrangements with his grandmother were harmonious: he would escort his grandmother to church, unwillingly did chores, actively sought work and abided by most of the rules (although he was still drinking and smoking). In 1982 he found work as a phlebotomist at the Milwaukee Plasma Center. He held this job for ten months before being laid off. Dahmer was then unemployed for over two years, and he lived on whatever money his grandmother gave him. Before losing his job, Dahmer was arrested for indecent exposure. On August 8, 1982, at Wisconsin State Fair Park, he was observed exposing himself "on the south side of the Coliseum where 25 people were present including women and children." For the incident in which he was convicted and fined $50 plus the court costs. On January 1985, Dahmer was hired at the Milwaukee Ambrosia Chocolate Factory as a mixer, he worked from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. six nights per week, with Saturday off. After he found this job, an incident happened in which Dahmer was propositioned by another male while he was reading in the West Allis Public Library. The stranger threw a note to Dahmer offering to perform fellatio on him. Although Dahmer didn't respond to his proposition, the incident stirred in his mind the fantasies of control and dominance he developed as a teenager, then he familiarized himself with Milwaukee's gay bars, gay bathhouses, and bookstores. He also stole a male mannequin at a store, which was used for sexual stimulation, until his grandmother found the item stored in his closet and demanded he discards it. I'm late 1985, Dahmer frequently went to the bathhouses, which he describes being "relaxing places", but during his sexual encounters, he got frustrated at his partners' moving during the act. Following his arrest, he stated, "I trained myself to view people as objects of pleasure instead of as people". At the beginning of June 1986, he would give sleeping pills to his partners, by giving them alcohol laced with sedatives. He would then wait for his partners to fall asleep before performing various sexual acts. To maintain an adequate supply of the medication, Dahmer would inform doctors he worked night shifts and needed the tablet to adjust to that schedule. After approximately 12 instances, the bathhouses revoked Dahmer's membership and had begun to use hotel rooms to continue the practice. After his bathhouse membership was revoked, Dahmer read a newspaper regarding the upcoming of an 18-year-old man. He had the idea of stealing the fresh interred corpse and taking it home. According to Dahmer, he had attempted to dig up the coffin from the ground, but found the soil too hard and then would abandon the plan. On September 8, 1986, Dahmer was arrested for lewd and lascivious behaviour for masturbating in the presence of two 12-year-old boys as he stood close to the Kinnickinnic River. He then claimed he had been urinating, unaware that there were witnesses, but soon admitted the offence. His charge was changed to disorderly conduct, and on March 10, 1987, Dahmer was sentenced to one year of probation, with additional instructions to undergo counselling.