Dahmer's Conviction

On February 15, Dahmer was ruled to be sane and not suffering from a mental disorder at the time of the 15 murders for which he was tried, in each count, two of the twelve jurors signified their dissent. The formal sentence was postponed until February 17. On that date, Dahmer's attorney announced his client wished to address the court. Dahmer approached a lectern and read from a statement that he prepared by himself and for his defence as he faced the judge. In his statement, Dahmer emphasized that he had no desired freedom following his arrest and that he "frankly" wished for his death. He further stated that none of his murders had been motivated by hatred, that he understood that nothing he said or did could "undo the terrible harm" he had caused to the families of his victims and the city of Milwaukee, that he and his doctors believed his criminal behaviour had been motivated by a mental disorder. Dahmer also stated that this medical knowledge had given him "some peace", although he understood that society would never forgive him, he hoped God would. Dahmer closed the statement with: "I know my time in prison will be terrible, but I deserve whatever I get because of what I have done. Thank you, your honour, and I am prepared for your sentence, which I know will be the maximum. I ask for no consideration." He then returned to his seat and waited for a formal sentencing. Dahmer was then sentenced to life imprisonment plus ten years for the first two counts. The other thirteen counts carried a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment plus seventy years. And the death penalty was not an option for Judge Gram to consider at the penalty phase, as Wisconsin had abolished capital punishment in 1853. Upon the hearing of Dahmer's sentencing, his father Lionel and his stepmother Shari requested to have a ten-minute private meeting with their son before he was transferred to the Columbia Correctional Institution in Portage, to begin his sentence. The request was accepted and the three of them exchanged hugs and wishes before Dahmer was escorted away. Three months later after the conviction in Milwaukee, Dahmer was transferred to Ohio to be tried for the murder of his first victim, Steven Hicks. In a court hearing lasting just 45 minutes, Dahmer pleaded guilty to the charges and was sentenced to a 16th term of life imprisonment on May 1, 1992.