The Way it Began: Aqua

CHAPTER TWO

AQUA

Adam, think this through.

I ignored the voice as I shoved clothes into my duffel bag. He sounded equally panicked and amused. I didn't know how I felt about that.

Even if you do manage to use the Grouping Instinct to find the others, what then? Hm? Will you protect them? What if they don't want to join you? Do you really think that you can defeat your father?

'You're not my father, asshole.' I thought back at him. 'You're just some dick scientist who- what? Had some freak lab accident? And now you're Hellbent on world domination. And I'll do whatever it takes to stop you. Whether or not the others want to help me is their choice. A choice you never gave them.'

The voice in my head laughed,

And what if they choose me?

'That's kind of the whole point of a choice. They're free to not choose me.'

It's cute that you think that this is that simple. That, despite your immense talents, you have failed to see the bigger picture, as it were. This world, among others, is far bigger than you think.

I shoved the voice out of my mind, and grabbed my mom's credit card out of her purse. I took my bag and snuck out of the RV to the ATM next to the rest stop. I swiped the card and checked the balance. Three million in savings. I whistled,

"Thank-you, Grandpa." People always wonder how we travel when my mom doesn't work. They never seem to notice that we share a name with the most famous Indigenous owned potato chip company in the United States: Ounaconoa Crisp Company.

I took out as much as the ATM would physically allow me to, which ended up being about four thousand in cash, taken out in a couple transactions, and shoved it all into the bottom of my bag, feeling a little guilty as I did so. But this was important, and I didn't know how long I'd be gone. And I couldn't risk my mom tracking my card and finding me. My mother would understand. Hopefully. I snuck back in the RV so I could put back her card. I caught sight of Kaili and Irwin on the couch beds. Even with all their similarities, they were still such polar opposites. I looked at how they slept peacefully, Kai curled in on herself like a cat, Irwin all stretched out, drooling like a bulldog. I smiled sadly. I would miss them so much.

I put my mom's card away and shouldered the duffel bag. I looked up at my bed one last time, I'd miss my tiny little private cave, and turned around.

"Where are you going?" I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Shit, Kai. Don't sneak up on me like that."

"Jason." She crossed her arms, pulling on the sleeve of her red sleep shirt- a nervous tick she had- then repeated herself. More forcefully this time, "Where are you going?"

"I don't know yet. It's complicated."

"Does this have to do with" she used her fingers to pantomime fangs, "You know, the thing."

"Sorta."

"Sorta doesn't cut it, assface. Either it does, or it doesn't. Now, does this or does this not have anything to do with you being a dragon." I put my hand over her mouth,

"Shut up! Not so loud, Jesus. And I really wish you wouldn't say it like that, it sounds too Hollywood." she ripped my hand off her face,

"Well, in case you hadn't noticed, this whole situation is kinda Hollywood. People don't just randomly turn into magical creatures, Jason!"