The End of All Things: The Bouncer

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

THE BOUNCER

It took about a day and a half to reach the nightclub. That was with us going as fast as possible, and stopping as little as we possibly could. The four of us who had been here before felt a nervous knot in the pits of our stomachs as we pulled up to the warehouse for the second time. Last time we were here things hadn't exactly... Gone well. We weren't eager to possibly repeat that experience.

"Alright, everybody. Eyes on." Kai told us as she pulled around back and parked. We obeyed, the warehouse becoming a club once again, music pumping out from behind the walls.

"It looks like it was never even blown up." Syd commented,

"Well, technically I don't think it ever was blown up." I reminded him, "Based on what Aybl said, I think he just, like... Moved everyone to somewhere else?"

"Yeah, but like, there was still a blast."

"I mean, something like that would take a lot of power." Dom commented, "I'm sure it would cause at least a little damage."

"And he can fix damage like that." Blake added, "He is a Magi, remember?"

"What the hell even is a Magi, anyway?" Irwin asked, "People keep just using words like we know what the fuck they mean." Blake shook their head,

"Magi are one of the most powerful beings in the Underworld-" They clocked Irwin's questioning gaze, "The Underworld is the world of Monsters and Cryptids. We're part of the Underworld. Anyway, Magi are tasked with protecting the inhabitants of the Underworld. They are basically the sheriff, the judge, the jury, and the executioner."

"Doesn't that get complicated, though?" Vi asked, "I mean, what if a bunch of Magi disagree on what to do with someone? Do they ever fight? Wouldn't that be dangerous?" Blake shrugged,

"Only one is born at a time. Generally they live around 200 years or so; but, if they were to die for some reason, another one would be born within a year. That's why they make copies of themselves, so they can be everywhere they need to be at once. It also helps keep the Original safe. If a copy dies, they can just be remade. But, if the Original dies, well, that's it. All the copies turn to dust, and the Underworld will remain unprotected until the next Magi comes of age."

"How do you know all this?" Kai asked,

"Emil and I used to chat with the bouncer at our Underworld Club back in Louisiana." They stated matter-of-factly, "Number Thirteen. He was a real character. I hope the one here is as funny as he was."

"I'm sorry, his name was Number Thirteen?" I asked, incredulous,

"Well, of course." They responded, "The original name belongs to the Original only. All copies are named after the order they were made in. Our bouncer was the thirteenth copy, so his name is Number Thirteen."

"Isn't that... I don't know, dehumanizing?"

"No!" Blake sounded very serious, "It's important! The tradition started ten thousand years ago with the first Magi tasked with protection of the Underworld. He allowed his copies to share his name, and legend says his copies all lost their minds, convinced they were all the Original. They couldn't decide who the True Original was, so they started killing each other. It was war. Magi fighting against himself, killing himself over and over. Finally, only one copy remained. He found the Original, still convinced that he, himself, was the True Original. But, when he killed his maker, he began to turn to dust. He realized his mistake too late, and the Underworld- which had remained unprotected while this war waged, never forgot the lesson learned. When the next Magi came of age, she was warned of the mistakes of the past and proceeded to number her copies, keeping her name safe and secret from all but herself. It has been that way ever since. Legend says a Magi Original will only reveal their name upon their death."