Ch 4: Our Heavenly Sky

Mr. Lee

I could feel my shoulders slumping when I stepped foot in the apartment. The slowly burning sensation in my feet and the aching pain spreading through my bones. It was dark but I didn't mind. After the several camera flashes in my eyes and the high-lit room I was in moments ago, I preferred this. My eyes could rest and I felt at peace in the dark. I tossed away my shoes slowly stepping my way toward the living room. The curtains remained carefully secured at the side of the windows, displaying the night view. Buildings light up accompanied by the moon. It was the only thing that gave some sort of light to the space I was in. Locking my eyes in the night sky made me feel empty for a moment, but it soon got replaced by feeling a hand slip on my shoulder. I could see her reflection in the glass, her nightgown hugging her body, and the messy locks framing her face. 

''Welcome home.'' It's been 2 years yet I never got tired of her greeting me like this. I should loathe what happened to our agency 2 years ago, of course, it wasn't something that brought back happy memories. However...it drew Haewon and me closer and that is the one thing I'm grateful for. I was content with just loving her in my own way and being married on paper. Now we share mutual feelings, live together, and have a daughter of our own. Is it weird when I say this feels too good to be true?

''I'm home.'' I carefully took her hand away from my shoulder guiding it to my lips. Her sweet smell made me smile before placing them against her fingers. I turned around embracing her gently. My arms were used to the familiar place around her waist while her fingers connected at the back of my neck. 

''How was it?'' I sighed at her question triggering a small laugh from her. How lovely it was to hear. 

I started this agency out of my own beliefs many years ago. What started with a small office at the end of an empty street, became a government-approved agency. After the attack on us 2 years ago and the big reveal to society, we have grown. We became a bigger company and labeled the nation's pride. There is a lot of trust put in us, but with all the media exposure and honorary awards received come a lot of hateful eyes. 80% of my detectives are of supernatural nature something not everyone excepts in this day. 

When receiving an honorary medal today I could feel it...I could hear it. The fear some of them carry when being in one room with me. And the hate to cover up those fearful feelings. 

''Draining,'' I replied to her, guiding my head to her shoulder. 

''I see, I guess this is a hint that you don't want to talk about it right?'' Once again she laughed while I rubbed my nose against her temple. The last thing I want to think or talk about is that. 

''You didn't eat yet right? Shall I make you something quick and easy?'' She broke the hug determined to enter the kitchen but just as fast I pulled her right back. I don't know why...I feel so restless these days. The cases, the media, the government, Zinon his escape...Everything came so fast all at once. But I can't lose my composure...I'm the one who should guide everyone through this. When I'm with Haewon I can just let go of everything. I can be angry, nag, throw a fit, or cry when I want to. The fact that we don't see each other that much makes me want to hold her closer more. 

''Just a bit..'' She nodded at my weak resolve. Her hands now resting on my back carefully brushing along my spine. 

''You know that before this all I was still one of the most respected detectives out there. You can talk to me, why carry all the burden alone...'' she spoke. Haewon has just recently given birth to our daughter. It's been quite some weeks but her body is still weak. Therefore she is currently staying at home, even if she did make a full recovery I don't want her at the office. Taking care of Haneul is a lot of work she needs to be with her. 

''When I set foot here I just....want to stop thinking about everything that is going on outside. I just want to think about you and Haneul, spend my time with you guys.'' I muttered softly. She sighed pressing her face deeper against my chest. 

''You're barely at home.'' She had her fair share of complaints, I can't blame her for anything of that. 

She managed to break free from my grip this time and in defeat, I trailed behind her entering the kitchen. It was a long night after two bites of my meal and one sip of wine Haneul started to cry. Haewon urged me to finish my meal in peace but I couldn't. So I rushed my way to the bedroom before she could. Taking the small vampire in my arms, with her pale skin and beautiful dark eyes. As I leaned her against my chest her crying died down and that's when Haewon came entering. Concern spreading on her face.

''I'm scared that whenever she cries....it might be because she craves blood.'' Her comment made me pull her closer to me. Her head rested against the back of my shoulder while she glimpsed at our daughter. 

Haewon is different from me....different from the vampire breed that is known to the world. Her mother had always wanted to cast her away from civilization, cause letting her into society would be far too dangerous. We are not sure if there are more like her...only that Zinon is a half-breed. Raising a child is something we didn't plan, we didn't think carefully about it. However, the news of Haewon her pregnancy made both of us cry with joy. 

And now we are responsible for the well-being of our daughter. We don't know if she will need blood to replenish her energy, or simply because she is hungry. Those are all things we have to figure out together...I know that Haewon prays that her genes wouldn't have any effect on her. But looking at our daughter her pale skin, and the light hint of red that flashes through her dark eyes sometimes I think the chances are high that she will resemble her mother more.

''She is fast asleep.'' She continued. A smile this time creeps on her face. Haneul her cries died down and gradually she started to fall asleep. I wanted to keep her in my arms a little longer. I couldn't take my eyes off her. Thinking once again that she is ours felt unreal.

Instead of heading back and getting rid of my unfinished meal, I slipped under the sheets with my wife. Her heavy eyes told me enough so I refrained from small talk and instead got into a familiar cuddling position. It has been quite some days since I last slept at home, these past few days I have been sleeping at the office not even going home to freshen up. 

''Don't go to work tomorrow.'' Her yawning request made me smile like an idiot. 3 years ago I wouldn't have dared to dream that she would say this to me one day. The scent of her hair, the feeling of her skin against mine, her chest pressed against my face, the sound of her heartbeat that came with it, the tight grip she embraced me with, and our legs entangled with one another were all things that made me want to agree with her. But both of us knew that in a couple of hours, I would slip away from this room without a trace, and part ways again.

''I'm sorry.'' That was all I could say before closing my eyes wishing to have a sunny dream about the three of us.