Seven - The Switch

Ira furor brevis est

Anger is brief insanity.

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

Once upon a time, the Malfoy estate was endless grounds of breathtaking Italian gardens, hedge mazes, grassy meadows, rolling hills, and crystal clear lakes, nestled in the charming Wiltshire country. It was bright and as welcoming as a family as deep in Voldemort's ranks as the Malfoy's were could make it, the dark, forest greens and gold accented hues of the furniture could be seen from the windows if you were close enough to pass by it.

Now, it resembled a prison.

The roses were dying, the hedge mazes were barely trimmed, the grassy meadows were all still limp and dead from winter, the crystal clear lakes were now muddy and drying up since no one was maintaining it with spells and care. The fountain no longer ran on the front grounds, dry and moss starting to grow in it.

A dark cloud seemed to hover over the manor, the monochrome of grey, steel, and black was nauseating to Hermione. She could imagine the heart attack Cissy would have at the sight of it all.

So, she took it upon herself as the secret lady of the manor — so secret even her husband didn't know — to spruce it back up. What else did she have to do?

Donning her black cloak to keep her identity hidden just in case, she was out on the front lawn and digging the thick moss out of the fountain. She grunted and groaned, pulling with all of her might to rid the gardens of all the weeds. She caught Tilly watching from the second floor window in awe and it wasn't long before she was beside her, pulling with all of her strength as well.

They worked in silence, though she thought she caught Tilly staring at the fresh bruises a few times, her mouth opening to say something before she decided it wasn't for the best.

By noon, all the house elves were out in droves by their own accord, spells flashing bright across the lawn.

The hedges were pruned, the front lawn was mowed, the roses were in full bloom. Koi fish now swam in the clear pond and lily pads floated on top of the water. The horses were galloping across the fresh meadow, the grass blowing in the breeze. The whitewashed bricks of the house were being pressure washed and fresh ivy grew on the north side.

She was inhaling deeply, the smell of roses and jasmine and lilies filling the air, when she heard the distant crack of apparition in the background.

Then, another.

CRACK!

Hermione's eyes widened in horror as all the house elves frantically vanished, apparating back into the house out of fear of being caught not doing their duties.

Her heart thudded rapidly in her chest.

There's not supposed to be two.

She dropped to her knees in the hedges, thankful she was deep in the maze, her breathing becoming shallow. Her eyes squeezed shut as she cursed herself. Malfoy was going to beat the hell out of her — or worse, kill her — when he realized she wasn't in her room.

"Draco, you must have had some free time on your hands. Look how beautiful you've made this place."

"Yes." Draco's voice was dark, the icy tone of pure rage piercing through her. "Too much free time, it seems."

Hermione was frozen, the flirty voice of a woman echoing through the grounds, becoming more and more distant.

Why did Draco bring a woman with him?