eight

Chaos struck so quickly, Cassie would've thought she had enough time to pack and flee the Cullens home. Yet she was greeted by the doors bursting open as she struggled to carry her suitcase down the steps.

She was exhausted and her hands kept shaking as she felt her hold loosen on the handle. She leaned into the stair railing as her eyes meant with Carlisle's. The man looked upset about something as a man she didn't recognize walked in behind him.

She felt so small as she hunched into herself her hand gave out and her suitcase fell down the steps. She watched as everything collided along the wooden floor as she tried to trail down the steps more.

"I'm sorry, I can.. I can pick it up" she inhaled sharply as she leaned more into the railing she jumped at the suddenness of Carlisle appearing beside her. He grabbed a hold of her arm as he helped her down the steps "you should be resting, your condition is getting worse, you don't have the strength to be active".

Cassie felt scared as she heard cars outside "but I have to leave Carlisle, I..." he shushed her by pressing his finger over his lips. She nodded as he grabbed her suitcase when she blinked it was gone and Carlisle was across from her. The man she didn't recognize gave her the creeps, his red eyes made her feel uneasy as she held herself.

She kept her head low and hoped he didn't mention her presence. The doors opened again and Cassie practically watched as the Cullens burst inside, Edward growling harshly at the presence of the stranger that spoke with Carlisle.

Something must've happened because everyone looked so alert as they all guarded Bella. Cassie must've zoned out, she snapped out of it when she felt cold hands touching her shoulder.

She looked at Esme, the woman smiled sweetly "you should be resting Cassie". Cassie rubbed her hands together "I was going to make tea, but I didn't get far... is everything okay? What's going on?".

Cassie leaned into the wall for support "nothing you have to worry about, we're handling it". Cassie looked at Bella, the girl looked so scared as she held onto Edwards arm and smiled weakly at Cassie.

Cassie felt lightheaded, she probably looked so weak and fragile. She felt the sharp pain before she could ever process what it was, the room grew silent. She felt so cold as she cried out, her hand grasping tightly onto her chest as she fell towards the ground.

"Carlisle!" her ears began ringing as she felt the weight of the world around her increase. Her heart burned and she felt like she was dying as she tried to catch her breath, her body was giving out by the second. "Follow the plan, I'll handle Cassie, we don't have time to sit here. The tracker will find Bella if we all stay, Rosalie stays with me. I'll need assistance with Cassie, the rest of you go now!".

Cassie felt a sense of relief when she heard the sound of everyone leaving. She inhaled sharply as she looked at Carlisle "what's happening to me?".

He lifted her off the ground "your heart is weak and hitting the stage of failing. It'll feel painful, and it'll only increase the more time goes forward".

Cassie groaned as Carlisle placed her on the hospital bed "so I'm dying, how long...". She pressed her hand against her chest but it didn't soothe the pain. Carlisle sighed "at best a few days, and that's with you attached to machines. I can help with the pain but it won't last forever. You'll be in this room, and we will be beside you the entire time".

Cassie looked at Rosalie as she held onto a pile of clothes "I'll help you change while Carlisle sets everything up in here for you. I won't leave your side". Cassie let out a heavy breath "what about Edward? What if he tries to kill me".

The room was so silent it made Cassie feel like a kid as she waited. "With his focus being on Bella's safety, he won't have the urge to hurt you. Me and Carlisle will personally watch over you ourselves. No one is getting inside this room unless we say".

Cassie smiled weakly "I'm on the verge of dying and I'm not even scared of it, I'm more worried about Edward, I can't even think anymore because I'm scared he'll hear me and it'll make him go crazy. I feel like I'm losing my mind worrying so much".

Rosalie smiled sadly "he won't come anywhere near you, and if he tries too, I'll stop him myself if it helps you feel more comfortable. They'll be back in a few days, if you're lucky he won't even see you".

Cassie stood up off the bed "if it's okay, I wanna change myself. I just wanna be alone for a few minutes, and Rose thank you for not giving up on me. I keep with everything that's going on, I'm probably the least of your worries. Bella's far more important and I hope she's okay and safe".

Cassie grabbed the clothes from Rosalie's hands slowly "you're important too Cassie, you mean a lot to all of us and your passing will be hard. But I know in a few years we will remember the memories".

Cassie smiled as she walked out of the room, she felt so on edge as she made her way toward the bathroom. She didn't want Rosalie to pity her or feel the need to help her in these last few days. So she'd endure the pain and handle changing by herself.

She enjoyed the quietness of the bathroom as she pushed the door shut. She leaned into the sink as she set the clothes down atop it, she would've thought she'd be so scared right now. She was dying and yet she felt so at peace with it, she spent so many years afraid of this very moment.

Her father prepared her for this, she had so many notebooks full of things she wanted to do before she died. Every single one was still bold, not a single one was crossed off with cheap red ink.

She wasted her life away and she was marked by Edward Cullen the second she stepped into his life. She wasn't the first victim he marked, so many others were in her position but she was different.

She was winning this game of cat and mouse, Edward would never have her. So why was she so sad about it? She sighed as she started to change her clothes, she frowned deeply at the sound of shouting.

She pulled open the door of the bathroom "is everything okay?" Before she could hear a glimpse at what was happening, she had felt the air leave her lungs. When she was aware of her surroundings she let out a shaky breath, the forest was dark.

She could feel the presence of Edward Cullen behind her as she inhaled sharply, she was as good as dead.

authors notes:
a little basic filler chapter, we have i believe two more chapters of this act. I think for this book I might do new moon and eclipse and that'll be it, don't think it'll reach the breaking dawn era unfortunately, but idk yet. Anyways here's the first update of today, enjoy!