old friends

Their eyes met as soon as she entered the room, it would seem the peaky blinders had already caught the attention of May Carlton

Their eyes met as soon as she entered the room, it would seem the peaky blinders had already caught the attention of May Carlton. Which Zoey wasn't surprised by, May always had an inquisitive nature when it came to all things dark and taboo- it was the reason they had become friends after all.

"Long time no see," Zoey broke off from the group a large smile resting on her cheeks outstretching her arms towards the older woman, not going unnoticed of course as it was John's job to keep an eye permanently on her- not that he needed payment for it.

"You're looking well," May addressed her with a bright grin, welcoming the girl's embrace before releasing her and looking back across the room to where the peaky blinder stood. "I do believe we have a lot to catch up on, like for instance who your keeping with."

May and Zoey had met on the day of her wedding, her late husband Sir Ian Carlton had saved Antony's life during the war so with what little heart the man had left, he'd invited the widow to enjoy the ceremony. There she had found, the 19-year-old bride, balling her eyes out in the bathroom, and began comforting her. From that moment onwards, May had taken on the role of the big sister, Zoey never had.

Zoey gave a light chuckle as she lit up her cigarette, following where May's eyes landed. "I'll fill you in over a drink, but I'll tell you this for now." she disclosed, looking between Tommy and her friend, "He ain't nothing but trouble." May unsealed her lips in fascination, before returning her focus back to Zoey who was lent over the banister, watching the show with her cigarette clutched tightly between her gloved fingers.

"And why did you come late?" She inquired further, but she seemed rather nonchalant about what she was asking, letting her eyes fall back onto the auctioneer.

"Cause they already knew what they wanted," Zoey elaborated slowly, exhaling the smoke as she glanced up briefly catching John staring, making the girl let out a smug look before dropping her attention back down to the show. "It's only you that needs to see every bloody horse." She jested, making the older women smile. "I'm gonna grab myself a drink, god knows I need one," Zoey announced once she noticed the horse Tommy had his eyes on entering the ring, "Want one?" She took another drag, facing her friend.