Chapter 2 // Flower Fruit Mountain

He makes it to Flower Fruit Mountain without dropping the monkey once.

MK would pat himself on the back if he could -though granted, this is possible more because of his passenger. Indeed, Macaque has a death grip on his jacket the entirety of the flight there, his claws piercing through the fabric and getting dangerously close to his skin.

Within the first few bounces with the staff, the little monkey has given up trying to look around, instead choosing to bury his face into MK’s neck and huddle there like a terrified cat, tail whipping from the harsh winds before it finds itself wrapped right around one of MK’s arms, the very same holding him against his chest like a bag.

Which is about the time MK finally notices the greatest thing in the universe.

Macaque’s fur?

So.

Goddamn.

Fucking.

Soft!

It feels like fluffy clouds under his fingers -like Monkey King’s cloud! No, exactly like the cloud, almost like they were made of the same stuff! Not like…not like MK has touched the cloud and could know about this. He definitely did not do that in the times his mentor has fallen asleep while he was training. Nope. Definitely not.

Alright.

To himself?

….yeah.

And it was pretty worth it.

They land on the shores of the island and MK can almost breathe a sight of relief while Macaque stumbles out his arms, nearly falling over and hissing when MK tries to help.

At this point, he just lets it slide without a comment, simply happy he doesn’t have to deal with monkey vomit.

One accident with Mei was good enough for him.

...he could do with a little less complaining though. Macaque stumbles out of his grasp, coughing, face almost as pale as his fur.

Never again, ‘uman!” He croaks, looking at MK like he’s given him rotten food to eat. “That -argh.”

Mk hunches his shoulders defensively. “...you okay?” He asks instead of making complaints of his own about the other’s behavior.  Macaque’s a little kid right now, not the tall angry murderous clone-looking copy of Monkey King. He needs to handle him with a bit more finesse than MK is normally capable of.

Even if he’s a mouthy little shit.

“I will be fine.” Macaque bites out like an agitated middle woman being handed cold noodles. MK’s been there. He knows what they sound like. “I will only need a moment, ‘uman.”

“Okayyy…”

At his dragged out noise, the white monkey whirls around to face him, pointing an offended digit at his face.

“What even was that?!” Macaque decries, face red. It makes his face look like a little strawberry as he points at MK. “If you’re his heir, you should know how to use the nimbus spell already!”

MK draws back, holding the staff close. “He didn’t teach me that yet.”

Macaque looks surprised. “Whyyy?!

“I don’t know!” MK feels his face scrunch up, age old yearning bubbling up as he whines; “He says I’m not readdyyyyyy!”

Macaque looks gobsmacked. His little ears are perked up like the feathers of a startled bird. It’s adorable, the way he tilts his face, confused. He jumps up suddenly, climbing up MK chest and sitting on his forearm when he reflexively grabs the little monkey to keep him from falling off.