Chapter 1

Kate Williams looked at herself in the mirror. Her white dress was what every girl dreamed of. A brilliant strapless, white dress clung tightly to her body at the top and flared out from the hips down to the ground, giving it a princess look. On the middle of her bosom held a diamond which portrayed that even though it is a simple dress, it wasn't too simple. Her blonde hair was in a bun, with two curls framing her face. On her head, was a simple, diamond tiara with a short veil. Her feet held a pair of white pumps and in her hands, she held a bouquet of white and dark blue roses. Everything was so simple and she loved it. It was perfect; a happy occasion.

She was about to marry the man of her dreams. He was everything she ever dreamed of. Handsome, rich, kind, generous AND her best friend...the perfect match. All her dreams were about to come true...

So why was she feeling this way? It can't just be 'new bride jitters' as her mother called it, can it?

"You ready princess?" a male voice asked. She turned to meet the first man she had ever loved.

"I think so daddy," she spoke. Christian Williams looked at his daughter. He could sense something was wrong with her. He always knew.

"You okay love?" he asked. Kate sighed. 

"I don't know daddy, maybe it's just 'new bride jitters' like mom said," she replied. Her father gave her a knowing smile.

"Honey, I've learnt a long time ago that what your mother says may not always be right," he stated. She gave a weak chuckle. 

"I bet you did," she replied. "Daddy, before you and mom, you know... divorced, and it was your wedding day, how did you know that you loved her? Or did you never really love her in the first place?" she asked. He sighed.

"Of course I loved her, I still do. We just... We couldn't get along. The thing is, she was exactly like me. We were both stubborn and opinionated and prideful. Neither of us wanted to accept defeat. In the end, I guess we were just a bad chemical reaction." he replied. 

"Oh," she said, simply. That didn't help her dilemma. Christian sensed this. 

"To answer your other question," he continued, "from the moment her father handed her over to me on that aisle, and I looked into those beautiful grey eyes of hers, I knew...I just knew, that this was the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I guess that didn't work out so well."

Kate let this sink in. He just...knew. Does she know? She loves James...she really does, but does she love him like...that? And is now really the time to be thinking about these things? 

Just as she was contemplating on her father's words and her feelings about the marriage, the organ music began playing. 

"That's our cue baby girl," Christian said cheerfully. She nodded and linked her arms together with his and they walked out of the dressing room and to the back of the line of bridesmaids and bridegrooms waiting to start walking. 

The first couple walked through the double doors and began their descent down the aisle. Then the second, and then the third. Then, her maid of honor, Lily, clad in a dark blue spagetti strap evening gown and the best man, John, James' brother, began their descent. 

They waited for the wedding director to signal them to begin walking.

"Remember honey, no matter the consequences, always follow your heart," her father adviced.

Before she could respond, they were given the signal to begin walking down the aisle. The music changed to the traditional wedding music and everyone rose from their  seats to look at the 'blushing bride'.  Kate plastered a wide smile on her face as they walked but her father's words kept playing at her mind.

No matter the consequences...

After, what seemed like an eternity, they reached the aisle. Her father kissed her hands and gave her one last look with those dark blue eyes, exactly like hers, before he gave her up and took a seat next to her mother, who was wiping her eyes with tissues. 

"Dearly beloved, we have gathered here today, to join this man, and this woman, in holy matrimony," the priest began. He carried on but Kate barely heard him as she looked at the man in front of her. In his black tuxedo, his dark brown hair slicked back, his muscular build and tan skin, he was every girl's dream. She purposely avoided his eyes though, not sure if she was ready to 'just know', as her father put it. 

"If any person can say why they may not be joined together, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace," he said. Kate looked around for any objectors, a slimmer of hope in her eyes, but to her dismay, no one objected to the marriage.

No matter the consequences...

"Very well. Marriage is the union of husband and wife in heart, body and mind. It is intended for their mutual joy, and for the help and comfort given on another in prosperity and adversity. But more importantly, it is a means through which a stable and loving environment may be attained." he said as he began his speech on marriage.

Heart, body and mind... Does she really want to give him all of that? All of her. She was so deep in thought that she didn't notice when the speech ended.

"Do you James Bryans take Kate Williams to be your wife, to live together after God’s ordinance, in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and continually bestow upon her your heart’s deepest devotion, forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto her as long as you both shall live?" he asked. "I do," James replied lovingly. Kate felt uncomfortable by the few "awwws" coming from the audience. 

"And do you Kate Williams take James Bryans to be your husband, to live together after God’s ordinance, in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and continually bestow upon him your heart’s deepest devotion, forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto him as long as you both shall live?" he asked. 

For the first time since she got up there, her blue eyes connected with James chocolate orbs. Her father said that he 'just knew' but the problem was, she couldn't feel anything. 

"I-I," you could feel the tension in the air as James gave her a confused look, a bit of hurt evident in his eyes. She could pratically feel the stares of the audience on her body but she remembered her father's words.

No matter the consequences...

"I can't," and with that, she ran as fast as she could- in high heels, down the aisle, away from her parents, away from the wedding party, away from the priest, and away from James.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Hiiii!!! Ok, so now that I have convinced Jessica (wink wink) to continue this story, she asked me to be her editor... Or beta. Whichever floats your boat. Any who, continue being the awesome unicorns that you are and vote, comment and share this story!! WOOO :D