BONUS CHAPTER

EMERSON POV

WEDDING DAY

I hadn't felt this nervous since the day I told my father that I was done doing assignments. Since the day I stormed into his office and told him I would do anything just to be done.

The minute I opened my eyes this morning my heart had been moving at an unhealthy rate and my breathing couldn't be slowed. I stood in a large room, staring at the trees outside of the tall windows lining the entire wall.

My hands were clasped tightly behind my back, and there were too many thoughts in my head. Who was she? What was she like? Why would she agree to this? My life would be forever changed, and I was meant to be bound to someone for the rest of it.

This agreement between my father and me took a lot of planning and money. Maybe with the sum I was receiving, I could escape him for good. I supposed that a wife being part of the deal wasn't the most convenient, but if she stayed out of my way, I would stay out of hers.

I truly wanted nothing to do with her, but if it was the price I had to pay, then so be it. When the doors behind me opened, I looked over my shoulder to see Noah strolling in with his usual arrogance.

His voice held so much entertainment, "You nervous?"

"No," I lied. Noah's face told me he saw right through it. Nothing got past him, ever since we were kids. I would say I can keep a straight face, but somehow, he always knows.

He walked toward me and placed a hand on my shoulder, "You don't have to lie. It's okay if you are. Most people are on their wedding day."

His lips spread into a sympathetic smile, and I hated it. "This isn't my wedding day."

My insufferable best man looks around the room, then himself, then me before remarking, "Oh, shit. Then who's is it?"

I rolled my eyes and shrugged off his hand, walking over to an empty sofa and sitting down. "Okay, I know it is, but I never imagined it would be like this. Doesn't everyone, even me, deserve to marry someone they want to spend the rest of their life with? Not a fucking stranger who is signing their life away for reasons I don't even fucking know."

Danielle entered my mind, but I quickly exiled any thoughts of her. She didn't even deserve to live in my thoughts.

Noah sighed and strolled to sit next to me. He spoke smoothly, "Look, man. I know this is hard. I know this isn't the way you imagined it, but you made a choice. It's time to live by it."

"I wish Joseph was here, " I whispered.

Noah put an arm around me and said, "I know. Me too."

Joseph always knew exactly what to say to me. He was my brother in every way that counted, just as Noah was. His father, Kenny, was the closest thing I had to a real father. He was the closest thing I imagined a father should be like.

With a slap to my knee, Noah stood up and straightened out his jacket before saying, "Well, I've got to go get them now. I can wait to see what she's like."

I nodded and stood too. It was time for me to go outside and say hello to all the guests. They were all friends of my father or business associates. I didn't even want to think about the fact that some of them are likely to be some of my past "assignments". I wasn't sure why I still referred to them as that. It was easier than saying my abusers I supposed.

I took a deep breath and walked out of the large oak doors. Identical ones across from me were open and led to the bright outdoors. The mountains looked like they were painted onto the light blue sky. There was quiet chatter from the people speaking to each other in their seats, waiting for the ceremony to start.

I willed myself to pull it together and plaster a smile onto my face. A smile that said I was happy to be marrying the woman I love, even in reality I'd never even laid my eyes on her.

I went up to every person as I walked on the soft carpet, leading up to the wooden arch. This was my first time seeing everything. Charles and Janette, my future wife's mother, had hired a planner and done all the work. This entire thing was their idea, to begin with, anyway.

Each time I saw a face I recognized, I looked away. The image of them taking advantage of my body invaded my mind, and I felt like I would be sick.

I continued my trek to the preacher until I finally got there. My nerves were making it hard to breathe, but I fought everything. I didn't want to show an ounce of uncertainty on my face.

The wind soothed me as it brushed against any exposed skin. I breathed to its rhythm. It helped me calm down. When the music started, anything I had previously done to calm myself down had evaded me. My thoughts were moving so fast that I couldn't keep up.

They swarmed me like an angry storm that was nowhere near slowing down. I looked toward the large, brown doors that had been closed at some point. Noah and another woman with piercing blue eyes entered my view first. She was smiling dimly but ultimately looked at ease.

I made eye contact with Noah, but my mind was still flooding with screaming thoughts. My ears rang, and I could hardly hear my heart beating over the noise in my head.

Then, she stepped onto the white carpet with her head facing the ground. When she looked up at me, everything went silent. The only thing I saw was her. Her sharp, green eyes looked at me, and for the first time in years, my mind was quiet as if it were in shock. She was unlike anyone I had ever seen before. Her swept-up hair resembled coffee, and she stood up straight. Her emerald eyes met mine, and I held my breath. Beauty was too weak a word to describe her.

My dark, shattered soul sang something I had forgotten. It hummed a song I would likely never forget again.

Cassandra. Cassandra. Cassandra.