Chapter 6 Part 2

Aki finally got out of Laguna duty a week later, so on the first day back on her regular schedule, she picked me up at home.

"Yay!" I said happily, sliding into the passenger seat. "I have a car again! How was Laguna?"

"Interesting. I hope they reimburse my gas money soon."

"I saw Jon in Glorietta, by the way."

"Cool, it's been awhile since you've seen him, right?"

"Graduation probably. Aki... have you been.. I don't know, have you seen Lou lately?"

"Lou?" she seemed surprised that I brought her up. "No"

"I was just wondering if you... if you were thinking of finally dating other people. It's been years since Lou."

"You think I don't think about that?" she was amused. "I think about it all the time."

"Hello, it's not obvious. the only date you have is your monthly visit to the comic book store." That was true, by the way. "Why don't you ask someone out?"

"Reign, what is this really about?"

I turned to her and smiled, hoping that even with her peripheral vision (her eyes on the road) she would still see that I was only saying this because I cared about her. "I mean, I think you should start dating again. No more excuses."

"Yes, ma'am."

"I'm serious, Aki. You can't still be sad over Lou."

"I'm not. I'm really not."

"In that case..." I sucked in my breath and hoped this would work, "How do you feel about Jazzy?"

"Jazzy?"

"Jazzy, your office mate."

"She's... she's okay."

"I think you should ask her out, on a friendly date or something. Like to your office Christmas party."

"How do you know Jazzy?"

"When I bumped into Jon, I met Jazzy. She's pretty and smart. I think you should ask her out?"

"Did Ramon put you up to this?" she asked, her hands tightening around and steering wheel for a second. Suddenly I got worried. Aki had a strange relationship with her friends. Like she said, no single person knew that much about her. I didn't want her angry  at Jon over this.

"No he didn't," I said. Which wasn't a complete lie. "I just happened to meet them, that's all. So why not Jazzy?"

She couldn't answer that, of course. Because she was a nice person and because Jazzy was actually attractive. There was no reason, really and she didn't give any. She exhaled -- sounded like a sigh of exhaustion -- and I wondered if a Monday morning was the wrong time to bring this up. 

"You're right," she said, after what seemed like a really long pause. "I've been making excuses not to date. Yeah, the Christmas party would be a safe time to start."

As Aki's relationship with Aki went from Christmas party date to more than that, I saw less of her. But she will tried to offer me a ride to work once a week. That was sweet. Those car rides felt remarkably short too. The more time we spent apart, the more stories we tried to cram in that forty-minute drive.

And then my love life started getting interesting.

I met Kim Gonzales at the pharma company. He was applying for a position in the marketing department, and I knew right away that he was going to get it. Few people sauntered into the HR waiting room like he did. Applicants were usually nervous, but not him.

On that first meeting, he found out we went to rival colleges -- and he promptly invited me to the next big basketball game.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "What if you guys lose?"

"Doesn't matter. Best team always wins anyway," he said, cockily.

He walked out of there with a date -- and eventually, the job. Type A personalities tended to do that.

Note: Sorry it too so long for updates. I'm really really sorry. Enjoy :)