CHAPTER 2 part 1

COLLEGE. 9 years ago.

Not many of my high school classmates were in my university. I knew a few people, recognized another dozen faces, but none of my friends were there.

Aki was one of those familiar faces who wasn't really a friend. We were in line for spagetti/ carbonara in the cafeteria on the first week of school, and she talked to me first.

"Are you the girl who sang with the little kids in last year's Environment Day?" she asked, unexpectedly.

"Yes," i replied, cringing. "Please not so loud."

"I thought i recognized you from high school! You were great."

"Do you see me hanging out with people from our school? No."

"Your secret is safe with me," she grinned. I'm Aki Kazukiwa."

"And i'm Reign Brown."

By the way, Aki is a half-japanese, half-Filipino girl, yes a girl. She looks so beautiful with those chinita rounded eyes and white porcelain skin, with jade black hair. But she prefer the word handsome. She is adored by many, specially girls eventhough they know that she is a lesbian.

I, on the other hand is a half-german, 1/4 latina and 1/4 Filipina, i guess. That's what my  mom told me, so i believed her. I am not popular, nobody knows i even exist, that's why i was shocked that this Aki girl, who is really popular, know me by my face. And she still remembers me. i had a glimpse of blush right then and there.

Going back to the flashback. After we talked we took our plates of over-sauced pasta and she followed me to an unoccupied table. I hesitated, the instinct to shun people from high school kicking in. It was hard, moving to a new school and not having any of my friends, but i consoled myself by deciding to start fresh. To reinvent myself. It could also be because I was naturally shy (yes, despite the singing -- singing to a crowd is easier than talking to a stranger) and found making new friends a challege.

This reinvention was not going to work if i had Aki (who might remember embarrassing things about me) hanging around.However?

Aki was cute. I figured she wasn't tall enough for basketball varsity, but she was still a few inches taller than me. That day at the cafeteria, her hair was shaved close to her head but was just starting to grow again. She said her hair wasn't normally like that and that she regret the cut. I had since seen her with probably two other hairstyles and i had to agree.

But she did look better with her new dark brown hair.

When we met, she looked like she was dressed for a game-- shorts, basketball shoes, white shirt. She looked solid and athletic, not exactly typical of the geek she later proclaimed to be.

Better her than anyone else from the other sort-of familiar faces.

Then i remembered what she did in high school -- she was on the basketball team in our senior year. I think she had a remarkable game against the very tall sophomores. For a while, people were talking about her being a "lucky find." Our batch had never won a basketball, and we ended up taking home the championship in our final year.

"Yeah, my fifteen minutes of fame." Humbly, or dismissively, Aki shrugged it off. "That went by too quickly. I didn't think i'd be good at it."

"What were you doing all those years when we were losing? To freshmen?"

"I didn't think i was good enough," she admitted."When we were seniors, someone sprained an ankle and they pushed me on at the last minute."

"Well, i had a great time at that game," i said. "Those sophomores were too arrogant. It was nice to see them bite it."

"Glad i helped you with that."

 I learned most of what i knew about Aki in college. Even though we named every single member of our respective barkadas, we didn't have any common friends.

We had a nice lunch. Not the best meal, but we both remembered that day. Right before we graduated, we had a last lunch at the cafeteria, recreating that same moment. She snapped a photo of me with a forkful of pasta in my mouth to save on her phone.

That photo showed up on her screen whenever i texted or called, years after it was taken. Even when she lost his phone, she reloaded the same pic into the replacement, and even when she became a management trainee in a big consumer goods company, that pic still showed up whenever i rang.

Classic isn't it???