CHAPTER 1 part 2

Reign! i thought you weren't going to show up," Lou smiled widely. "Chai tea latte?"

"Sure," i answered blankly.

 I watched Lou a cylindrical object (yoga mat)? against out table as she stood up and headed to the counter. She was slender and perky, with a head full of lush curly hair. i remember she had a health kick in college, and wasn't surprised she did yoga.

She returned with a tea latte a size larger than what i used to. Like she was expecting this "meeting" of ours to last longer than i thought. i got goosebumps and i got nervous.

"You look great!" she gushed, as if we were close friends. "Did you do something different to your hair? It looks nice."

Oh you mean actually brushing it? i had a tomboyish ponytail on in college. Now i actually made an effort to style my hair, which i had grown past my shoulders. The whole production took half an hour each morning, but at least the waves in my hair looked like i wanted them there.

It was nice that she noticed. "Thanks, Lou. It's like you haven't changed at all."

She seemed to take it as a compliment. (It was) "So... how are you? Where are you working again?"

"I'm good. I'm already a licensed nurse at Manila Doctors."

"Do you work the night shift?"

"Sometimes but not usually."

"We're you always there? I thought you worked at a Medical company after college."

"I moved. Been at this hospital for three years now."

I sipped my tea, trying to ignore the awkwardness. "And you?"

I've actually quit my job! Trying to get my own business running."

Lou started to tell me about the business she started, something to do with designing accessories, and that she had opened a small store. I asked her a few follow-up questions, just to keep her talking about herself, consequently putting less pressure on me to share.

i'd always been introverted, but i got better at talking to people. I discovered that the key was to ask questions. Keep them talking for awhile, and you'll hardly need to do anything.

Lou was in mid-sentence when she checked her watch, a frustrated look on her face. "I can't believe this. I said six o'clock."

"Why Lou?What's up?"

"Reign, i guess i should just start. Do you have a boyfriend?"

"What? well, no."

"Good, that's good"

I started to panic. "Wait! Are you setting me up with somebody?"

"No, no. Or maybe. Have you talked to Aki lately?"

"Uh-oh! No, i said, and that was the truth. "I think the last time i heard from her was .. it's got to be months."

"You got an invitation to her wedding, right?"

"Yes,." This conversation was becoming even weirder. "Did you?"

"No. We didn't stay friends after college. Do you know anything about her fiance, Keira?"

"I've met her, but i don't really know her."

Lou sighed. "This is going to be harder than i thought then. Reign, i was going to ask you to stage some sort of intervention for our Aki."

"What?"

"I want you to get her to break her engagement. Call off the wedding. Do anything, keep her from marrying that girl."

I was really shocked that very moment and confused. And yes, marry. Our Aki will be marrying soon. And yes lesbian and a girls are allowed to marry. Well some countries/places do that nowadays. So that sucks right???