CHAPTER 2 part 3

That day, aki left a message at my hang out place and on my locker. She finally caught up with me as i got out of my last class.

I went first. "I met Lou today. Why is she asking me for permission to go out with you?"

"Huh?" She looked taken aback. " Why would she do that?"

"I don't know! It was very weird."

"What did you tell her?"

"What do you mean? Of course i said yes."

She looked sheepish. "I think i know what happened. She thinks you're my ex-girlfriend from high school."

"What? Why would she think that? i yelled.

Aki, it turned out, did not have a girlfriend in high school. She never had a girlfriend, and Lou was the first girl she had asked out, ever.

"Ever?" I didn't believe it. Even i was asked out once or twice before. And i wasn't even on a sports team. "What about senior prom?"

"I didn't go with a date," she said. "The girl I was interested in wasn't.. i mean she's not interested with someone like me.

"Like what?"

"A lesbian?? duh. i may look like a guy but i can't just fool her pretending that i'm a dude. Anyway i just went with my friends."

I started laughing. "I feel bad for you and your friends."

Her problem was that in getting to know Lou, she learned that she did not want to go out with a les who had never had prior relationships.

"I don't want to waste my time," was how she described it. "I don't want to be the guinea pig, you know? Like, first girlfriends always get the mistakes. They fix their partners up, and then the next girlfriend benefits! It's not fair." as a point of view of Lou

"I'm guessing she's been the first girlfriend at least once before."

"So how could i tell her i'm new at this, right? She'll reject me even before she gets to know me."

"Well she didn't reject you. She told me she's going with you to Freshman Night. Wait, were you looking for me earlier?"

"Reign, i need a favor. She already thinks you're my ex anyway."

"Oh no ... what do you want?"

"Can you ... I don't know, can you tell her nice things about me? We can hang out together on Freshman Night, and when you get her alone, you can drop hints like I'm into her or something."

Looking back, it was probably the lamest favor ever asked of me, but at the time it sounded fun.

"Sure," I said, helpful in a misguided way. "But can we do this my way? I can't just go up to her and tell her you like her. We have to be more subtle. Also you can't keep looking like you just rolled out of bed. Have some respect for the girl."

"What are you talking about?"

"That," I pointed to her unwashed jeans, wrinkled shirt (the same one from two days ago) and slippers. It was a little too slacker college student. You'd expect that from a dormer who really did just roll out of bed. But Aki actually traveled an hour to get to school.

"Fine!" Whatever you think will work." She looked happy and excited, and felt a little pleased with my new role as her partner in crime.