CHAPTER 2 part 2

Aki was in a management course, and i was in a Nursing course, so we hung out with other people. She would drop by my usual tambayan/ hang out place, asking if i felt like a burger/coffee/loaning her money for photocopying, but she wouldn't hang out.

"Who's that?" my friends would ask each time she came by.

Something we discovered we had in common was that neither of us felt like joining a tight-knit barkada right away. She wanted to remain a "free agent" because she thought that her friends from high school (somewhat geeky smart people) held her back from exploring her less geeky interests (basketball).

I was just not comfortable with a huge clique. I preferred a few close friends that i really liked hanging out with. That gelled well with Aki's own quirk of keeping her friends separated.

(we're not a loner or something. we just prefer to balance things up. Be a little creepy and mysterious at the same time)

Like, she never ate lunch with those groups she played basketball with. Or she never studied with her friends from his organizations

I asked her why she did that.

She looked at me like i was crazy. "So no single person knows everything about me." Duh.

I rolled my eyes. "You have intimacy issues."

Those intimacy issues were put to the test when my friend Aki met Lou Malani in Zoology class the second semester. I wouldn't have known if she didn't say anything since i never saw her if she didn't seek me out. Apparently, they had started having lunch together.

The first time i met Lou was when she approached me while i was in line at the copy machine,

"Are you Reign brown?" she asked.

Being taller, awkward, and having to look down at her self-assured tiny frame did not make things easy for me. I had grown three inches in a few years and i didn't know what to do with my arms.I seemed to be forever outgrowing a bad haircut, so the default hairdo was a ponytail. She was petite, and at that time , the only girl i had seen with wild Keri Russell hair who wasn't straightening it in any way. But what stood out for me was how she was just so naturally friendly.

"Yes," i said, unsure of what was happening. "I'm sorry, are we classmates?"

"No, no. Sorry. I'm Lou. I was ... I just saw you and i'm not sure if this is proper but what the hell,I'm here anyway. Aki Kazukiwa asked me to Freshman Night this friday. Are you okay with that?

Freshman Night was a party to be held in one of the in-campus dorms. It was an annual thing, usually near the start of the second semester. I didn't think it was formal and required dates, but i guessed that was what people did in college.

But what confused me was why she sounded like she was asking my permission. "Of course I'm okay with it."

She let out a breath, so relieved that she actually hopped a little. "Cool! Thanks. I know you two still hang out together, so i just wanted to check if you were fine with it. She didn't tell you that she asked me?"

I still wasn't sure what she was talking about, and by now i was very aware that the five other people in line plus the copy girl were listening to us. "No, she didn't, Lou, but she doesn't have to tell me if she asks anyone out."

"That's nice. I was just making sure. Thanks Reign."

She pretty much skipped away, and i was left in line, blushing, trying to pretend that didn't just happen.