[II] - Jasmine's Dew

Waking up from a deep and pleasant slumber, my eyes opened to an unusual sight. In the air, the sweet smell of the pollen hung, making it seem like I was sleeping in a garden outside. But there could be nothing more unexpected than to see my whole room decorated in colourful flowers, all staring at me with their beautiful petals. The rays of the Sun already at noon, were making them all shine like crystals. Waking up to such a mesmerizing sight and pristine day, I suddenly wondered, why are those even here?

And then I remembered, what happened last night.

Touching my body in panic, I tried to remind myself of the pain I felt yesterday. But it was long gone, the headache with a swirling stomach. The tightening loop on my neck made with the hands of my own master. Nothing hurt me anymore. How strange.

"Oh! You woke up, miss! It's already lunch time, you should get dressed and come to the dining hall. Master is awaiting you."

There was a maid, standing in the doorways. A girl younger than me, with shoulder-length ginger hair, and a pair of two, hazel eyes. Freckles were scattered on her honey-colored skin, she looked so pretty and feminine. I've seen her a few times, yet didn't know of her name. But the thing about this girl was, that her appearance surprised me. No one ever came and bothered themselves with my existence. No one ever talked to me. So why, today?

Getting of my bed, I sent her a curious glare, but she just responded with a smile. How strange. Has master sent anyone to make sure I feel well? Could I say that's considerate, coming from such a cold man like him?

Pulling out a plain, blue dress, out of the chest near my bed, the only one I had found in here, I was suddenly stopped by a raised up voice.

"Oh no! Master sent you a new dress! You should wear it instead!" — She pointed to a wardrobe that appeared out of nowhere in the corner.

A new... Dress? From master?

Huh...?

Looking confused at the point in the corner, the maid decided to take things in her hands and got to the wardrobe first, as I stood in place wondering why did the attitude towards me change in one night. Does he feel guilty of... Assaulting me like that last night? Choking me to the point where I couldn't breathe... Does he want to silence me this way?

Would anyone even listen to me, if I told them that mäster almost choked me, seeing that no one talks to me? There was something strange going on, it filled my entire body with anxiety and trembling fear.

Pulled out from inside the wardrobe, was a long, lavender colored dress. Made from a frilly cloth, decorated with flower ornaments and laces, it made a fairytale like impression. It's sight, it immediately took my breath away, I never saw anyone wear anything like this in here.

"Should I help you get changed, miss?" — The maid asked me politely.

I lost my thoughts, and seemed too hopeless to question this anymore. The beauty of this dress took my speech away, so I only nodded.

She got behind me, unlacing my night shirt. Taking it off, I could feel her finger suddenly start to shiver, and stop at one point.

"Is there something wrong?" — I asked after she started like this for a while. The cold air started to tingle my skin.

"Ah... No. I apologize."

The dress was quite tight, it took the maid a lot of force to make the narrow part go through my arms. Finally being set on me, the dress fitted me well. But the issue was, there were no mirrors around for me to admire my sight.

"You look really pretty, miss."

I only smiled as a reply, I couldn't see myself after all.

"Should I brush your hair now?"

Why? Why is she being so polite to me? Is this all scheme of my master? I couldn't bring myself to find other answers.

"I... Can do it myself."

"Oh why? It's my duty to serve you and help in everything. Let me do it!"

But I grabbed her hand before she could touch my hair. Squeezing it too tightly, I could see her joyful face instantly turn into a frightened grimace. Her eyes went wide, showing me a scared face, just like if she saw a monster.

Letting her go immediately, I was confused by her sudden change in reaction. Yet, I couldn't get astray from my doubts.

"Why? Why are you doing it? I'm a mere servant, I shouldn't be treated like that."

"Miss... What are you talking about? You were never a servant in here!" — Her face turned red and surprised.

...What?!

I...

I was never told by anyone to do anything. All of their glares petrifying me, avoiding any contact. No duties, I just assumed naturally that I should do something. Being an outcast, I've theorized about my situation many times. Living as if non-existent, but still alive. Waking up with no memories and a burning scar on my stomach, maybe I was a slave that run away, but was hurt by the thieves? Or maybe I was found on the side of the road and rescued, in return for my freedom? Or... Maybe I wanted to commit suicide? All of these options, none of these were supported by any evidence. So I remained silent and confused about my life. But now it turns out...

"If I am not a servant at all, who am I?"

"Master is waiting. We should go now." — I didn't notice when she finished combing my hair. My question being ignored, as all of them at this point, it didn't surprise me at all.

I obediently followed her though the corridors, with the inquisitive stares of the servants landing on me. Scared of looking anyone in the eyes, a doll was walking before them, a servant yesterday, a lady today. I ignored how all of them were greeting me with smile, following with a: "Good morning, miss." Confused, my fingers started to get numb. What in the world was happening?

"Oh, you're finally here. I waited long enough. How was your sleep?" — The deep voice of a man sounded in the dining hall, as I entered it.

His black eyes meeting with mine, my heart was beating faster, as all of this was slowly getting similar to a dream. Maybe it was a one indeed. His stare went from the top to the bottom of my body, with amusement sparking in his eyes, as if glaring at something beautiful. Why would his face shine with happiness like that... Why would his voice be so melodious and positive?

Why would his black eyes suddenly lose their madness?

"What are you waiting for? Sit down, your meal will get cold."

There was a plate with steaming food right next to him. Is that supposed to be... For me?

"Is there something wrong, Salvia?"

When hearing this name, my heart seemed to stop beating for a second. The breath got stuck in my lungs, the time appeared to be frozen, with my fingers getting numb and cold. All of the feelings, they disappeared to make a place for a new guest. Descending life.

...Who?

I could see his soft glare suddenly get sharp, two black dots hidden under the fringe of curly, brown hair. Inquiring, piercing, judging. His smile crooked faintly.

But seeing that my eyes were stuck at his face, the smile immediately returned on it.

Was it my imagination?

You... Why, all of a sudden? Why, after so many weeks of being nameless, I suddenly earn a name? Do want me to stay quiet about how you treated me violently yesterday... Is that really so important to you? Acting so nice, so that no one hears of anything... But why... Would a master like you want to hide the punishment for a disobedient servant? How far do you want to go with that?

Should I just go with it?

If I wish to learn more about my life, I need to act foolish and unaware. Otherwise, I will end up like I started, a nonexistent human being with no name, no past present and no future. A life with no meaning is the worst pain, above all.

So, I just smiled softly, and decided I can't live like that anymore.