[VI] - Daffodil's Heart

The corridors of the mansion were busy as usual, filled with the servants fulfilling their noon duties. Yet now, as they surrounded us two, casually walking with each other, they seemed like a hoard, so many, so crowded. All of them seeing, watching us with their... Suspicious and cold glares.

Smiling to my master, welcoming him, when he passed by them, their gazes changed when they stumbled upon me. The smiles were different then. The fake muscles twitching under their skin, I felt a rotten joy coming from their greetings. Eyes ready to perceive what they want, judge, and declare their own ecosystem, the world of servants under the god, who was the duke.

I could hear them whisper among themselves, while they watched me following the duke. Their ignorant looks changes to one's more hurtful than as if I didn't exist. So, instead of walking behind the man, I decided to walk by his side. To not see them make these looks anymore. But my head wouldn't shift up, glaring into the marble floor, I still felt the unpleasant glares. When one think changes for better... The other collapses in its place.

•••

The fresh breeze of air swirled in my nose, as the smell of the dominating Sun rose outside. Bright rays were getting warmer with everyday, the honeyed fragrance of the blooming flowers becoming more intense. The world was slowly changing, spring surrounding every corner of the garden. Colors filling the surroundings, it was a really pleasant sight, making me cover the uncomfortable moments from the inside.

In this sun, stood the son of the night. His dark-brown wavy hair, like the bark of the old oak tree behind the mansion. His black, lost eyes shined, reflecting the heavenly blue sky. The warmth greeting his skin, he seemed to enjoy that weather too. I wondered, what thoughts lie behind these mysterious eyes. What is my future in the mind of this man.

They turned down, on me. Devouring me whole, the darkness of theirs, even in the daylight, shivers went down my spine.

"You seem sad. Why is it?" — He asked.

Despite so many answers that would be so obvious, he still seeks for one. Right now, it was the servants mad glares that made me like this, but should I tell him? Should I make myself a pitiful and miserable creature, affected by anything?

From the loneliness of my heart... Maybe I... Want to be taken care of?

Can he... Take care of me?

Do I have... Anyone else in this world that can do this?

Why is there... A longing feeling in my heart... An empty hole... That I'm so desperate to fill...

"The servants... They've always ignored me... It makes me sad, that I have no one to talk to." — My eyes, staring into his, felt teary all of a sudden.

His lips tightened, their color becoming faintly paler. My genuine sadness, it was engraved in my face, the feeling of abandonment still hurting, despite him acknowledging me after such a long time.

His black, miserable now eyes. He... Was the one who ignored me first.

Am I not the wife of his dearest friend?

He apologized, explaining that I would become resentful if I remember what happened, but... Could that justify him for treating me as he did? Deserting... me? To find meaning only in chores and wandering in the infinite gardens of this place?

Why is it, that it took such a long time to finally break and admit, that I am no mere servant, a human to be longer ignored?

I want him to... compensate me for my loneliness... He was responsible for...

Is this... The resentment he meant? Am I... That kind of a person?

My eyebrows frowned, at the thought of myself.