[III] - Withered Chrysanthemum

A wide smile grew on my face, as I walked up to the seat besides the tall man. Sitting down on a soft chair, I searched around the table to look for the prepared food. It all... Smelled and looked so delicious. Nothing like what I had, eating only leftover bread and stew from the servants kitchen. With the sight of this cuisine, my hunger started to kick in. Primitive instincts ruling over the faint sense of dignity left, without the will to further question this abstract situation, I politely went with his scheme and wished him:

"Have a pleasant meal, master."

But instead of thanking me, his spoon suddenly fell out of his hand, hitting the plate with a large noise. Turning my head to see what happened, I could only stumble upon his glare, targeting me.

"Stop calling me your master." — He whispered quietly.

"Huh... Why should I?"

"Because it troubles me. Call me by my name."

"...Is 'Duke Begonia' more polite?"

But at the moment I spoke out loud his surname, his pupils would go narrow, and his breath would freeze.

"...No. Narcis will be enough."

A name that no one spoke inside of the mansion. Rare and unmet, I've never heard anyone referring to him in this way. It seemed to strange and out of place, to suddenly start calling him like no one did, with a name, so unofficial like that. Why would he tell me to do that?

There is so much I want to ask, but we weren't alone, for me to freely ask him. Near us were standing two butlers, the ones I saw a few times here. Assuming that I would be frozen by his deadly glare if I dared to ask any unnecessary questions here, I decided to remain silent and "stupid" until the right time comes. Using it to my benefit, it felt quite pleasant to finally have someone to talk to me, eat delightful food, and be treated differently. After an unsettling living, almost like a ghost, a nice sensation greeted my heart. Even if it's all a facade that would eventually fall, I wanted to enjoy the special moments while they lasted. Living every day with no purpose and memories at all, I wanted to make the sadness of these days fade. Maybe acting stupid would make my life more happy than objecting being treated like a puppet.

Observing closely, with strange curiosity, the way I was eating, the duke slowly sipped his tea out of a fragile cup. He was an elegant man, the distinct face features of his, and always near clothing made me differentiate this man the first time I saw him. Looking like a natural nobleman, the way he moved, spoke and even stared with his eyes, all of this was filled with dignity and respect. Dark brown, thin strands of curly hair were hanging loosely on his forehead. A defined nose with dark pink lips underneath. His sharp jawline was creating a refined face. Two, arched eyebrows were rarely relaxed, like now. His always cold, void black eyes now shined with warmness. One man, two different faces. Both of them... Quite handsome.

He suddenly smiled, and then I realized, I've been observing this man for a while now. Not being aware of my intrusive glare, my eyes quickly shifted down, and I attempted to finish my meal.

"You look really beautiful in this dress. Do you like it?" — He asked me with a dreamy voice.

"I... There is no mirror in my room, so I couldn't see how I look."

"Oh... I should bring one to your room then... Or no. I have a better idea. You should move to another room, bigger and already decorated. It has a big balcony, right next to mine."

His eyes looked like if they wanted to ask me how I feel about this idea. But they would be met with disappointment. This... Isn't this too much?

"I think my room is enough." — I responded to him with a unenthusiastic glare, that could be seen only by him and no one else.