COMBATIVES AND ARTISTRY

"Line up!"

Lara snapped her head around-still hanging in the middle of the rock wall-and found the head trainer calling all the tributes over. Atlas went to get her and saw she was near the very top, impressed and jealous at the same time.

Every day since the night of the dinner she walked out on, he noticed that she would reappear in the morning magically stronger. Her hits were quicker and precise; her movements stealthier. He suspected she had been training late at night on her own, but never confronted her about it.

She lowered herself down carefully until about a quarter of the way, then she jumped off the remainder. She landed with a thud besides Atlas, straightening up to brush her hands off. He shook his head with a grin and they made their way over to the trainer.

"This evening, your abilities will be privately assessed. You will be ranked on a scale from one to twelve," she informed, "I advise you to choose your greatest strength, as your score will impact your ability to gain sponsors. Good luck."

The tributes scattered once more, turning to leave for their apartments to rest before their assessment. Lara and Atlas decided it was best to do the same; there was only so much they could train.

As they rode the elevator, Atlas leaned against the rail casually, "What are you going to show them?"

She shrugged, "I was thinking of setting up an animal trap. That, or climbing."

He frowned. He bowed his head, shaking it in disbelief. She didn't notice until he began to laugh.

"What?" she questioned defensively.

He took a moment to collect himself and scratch his head, "You're kidding, right?"

To say she was confused was an understatement. She crossed her arms indignantly and gestured for him to explain. He pushed himself off the railing and copied her stance.

"Lara, you have a much better chance of a high score if you show them your combative skills," he argued, "Climbing a twenty foot rock won't do much to impress them."

"I don't have any combative skills! I know how to wack a wheat field during harvest and that's it!"

"Bullshit!" he burst, "I know you've been training at night!"

So much for not confronting her.

She paused and shut her agape mouth. He'd caught her and there was no use hiding it. He assumed he was right when she conceded by slouching back against the elevator wall.

She shook her head, "I'm not good in comparison to the careers. There's no use in trying to use strength to beat them out."

"You don't have to use strength; just strategy."

Lara glanced at her partner. She wondered why he was so adamant to help her gain a better score, but she was drawn in by his advice. It was similar to what the man had told her the other night. She still didn't know his name but he was stuck in her head.

The elevator signaled their arrival to the ninth floor before she could argue again. They stepped out into the main room, noticing that Cal was gone.

Lara decided to avoid Atlas, and she went straight to her room. She could hear him sigh deeply as she walked away.

Once the door was locked behind her, she flopped onto the bed. The warm, soft bed that she'd never felt anything like in her entire life. Her body sunk into it, engulfing her in the fuzz and fur that coated the blankets.