TWO. the little knife collection

MEMENTO MORI
CHAPTER TWO !

MEMENTO MORICHAPTER TWO !

[ philosopher's stone ]

      WHEN MAYA WAS FIVE, SHE HAD REALISED SHE WAS PUT ON THIS EARTH TO PROTECT HER SISTER. However, by recent events with a Professor, a letter and finally seeing Madam get told off, she's come to realise that her life might be elsewhere.

Of course, she needed to take Priya with her. She wouldn't abandon her sister and yet it felt like she was now, when her sister sat on the bed, watching her older sister pack her clothes.

Priya finally stood, walking to Maya's bedside table and opening it, removing the slab of wood and pulling out the knife collection.

Maya only sighed, "and what are you doing?"

"You've got to take them," Priya frowned, holding out the handle toward her older sister. "Didi, we're different from other kids. We've literally been told that to our faces. If these kids aren't any better than the ones we've dealt with here. . ." she stopped and swallowed. "I hate when you use them, but I'm not there to help you like you help me. And I don't want you getting hurt."

The older Shaan girl swallowed before holding the knife. Neither let go and Maya pursed her lips. "I haven't used them since I threatened that kid, Johnny."

"Threatened?" Priya scoffed. "It was more like actually convincing him you were going to kill him."

"Well he hurt my sister," Maya shrugged, looking at the faint scar on Priya's collar bone. Maya remembered it vividly: how Johnny had cornered Priya, then when Maya had shown up, he threatened to carve into the girl's skin. When he accidentally scratched her with his small pocket knife, Maya had brought her blade out and made Johnny beg Priya for forgiveness.

Priya was slightly shaken by the experience, but thankful for her sister's use of skills with a knife.

"Listen," Priya said, bringing Maya back to reality. The reality that she was leaving her sister. Priya was now holding Maya's hands. "I want you to be safe. We can split the collection so in case someone tries to hurt me, I can use a knife. But I need to know if you'll be safe too. You're more skilled with a knife than anyone I've seen."

Maya sighed. She pressed her forehead against Priya's. "Just remember what I taught you."

"The twist with the fingers trick?" Priya grinned up at her. "How could I forget?"

A car horn sounded and they turned to the window, where Maya looked out and saw Madam pointing at her watch dramatically while tapping her foot. Priya sighed, looking back at Maya who stared back. "Write to me, wont you?"