Chapter 4

<it's good! let me know what they sayyyyy

I smile at her sweet tone, conveying well even over text.

I willll :) >

1683 words

First thing in the morning, I check my phone for a reply from the salon. I don't see any, but I do see a text from Billie.

< Have a great day!

I smile and blush at her thoughtfulness.

You too, Bil :) >

I finish my McDonalds meal from a couple of days ago, and head straight to the spot where I met Billie, leaving my phone in my tent. The entire time I'm begging, I can't stop wondering if I got a reply, if my hair can really be saved.

I think to myself how well I would treat my hair, how often I would brush it, how many times I would take that miserable bus ride to the beach, if I could just have it back.

Last night, I was attempting to brush it again and I found the root of the knot. It was hard as a rock; I don't know if a salon could get something like that out, even with all their tools and conditioners.

When I see the store close, I pack up myself, my bible, and my change can, and head back to the camp. The first thing I do is check my phone for an email, and see that they replied.

Thank you for your message, Jemma. Our salon's mission is to help young women regain their confidence and get their lives back on track.

Unfortunately, we are being booked up quickly lately, and we will need to have you in for a consultation before we can schedule the actual appointment. For some dire cases, we do not have the resources or time to conduct the entire appointment cost-free.

Reply to this email with the dates and times you are available and we will get back to you shortly!

I take a deep breath and screenshot the email, sending it to Billie.

Am I a dire case?>

Billie almost immediately starts typing, and I watch the three dots patiently.

<we will only know what they say if you go to the consultation. email them back!

I sigh at the text, hitting the call button. Before she says a single word, Billie switches the call to FaceTime. I point my phone towards the roof of my tent, insecure about my hair.

"Jemmaaa," Billie giggles, "Where are you?"

I can't help but giggle as well, "I'm here."

"Well I can't see you."

I stay silent, watching her smiling face light up the screen. I enjoy my opportunity to admire her without her seeing and calling me out. I can let myself smile and bite my lip.

"Jemma."

I roll my eyes, "I don't want to."

"Please?"