Chapter 2

I'm nervous that she'd laugh, but I pull my bible out from under my butt and sit on the ground. "This is cleaner than the ground," I offer, "If you want to sit."

1861 words

A/n:

Psst! The people that commented on my last chapter made me wanna update soonerrr 🤫

I blush heavily as I await her answer, feeling silly for thinking Billie Eilish would want to sit on a bible and talk to me.

She giggles and smiles, sitting beside me on the Bible, "You use this for sitting?"

"Someone gave it to me for free and it's more comfortable than the concrete," I laugh uncomfortably. Even though Billie seems to like my company, I'm still very awkward, unsure why an A-list celebrity would want to sit on the ground with me.

"I believe you," she says, "So, what's your story?"

I watch her hand move to tuck my hair, but she changes course once she sees how disgusting it is, and strokes my chin instead.

I cover my mouth with my hand as I speak, not wanting her to smell my breath, although I bet she can smell the rest of me already, "Well, I am gay. I came out, and here I am. I live down there," I point to the canyon behind the store.

Her face contorts to one of pity, and I hate it. She seems to notice, and adjusts her demeanor, "Well, I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm sure you don't want my pity. What I can tell you, is I see you going places, Hun. I believe in you."

I smile brightly at her, "Thank you, that is so encouraging, actually."

She smiles, "Good." She stands up, dusting off her shorts.

"Billie?" I ask, realizing this is the first time I acknowledged I knew her name, although I'm sure it was obvious.

"Yeah, Sweets?"

"When will you be here next? You know, to go shopping." I curse myself for saying something, feeling stupid for thinking that our interaction was more than just a one-off conversation.

She tilts her head at me, "I'm free Sunday."

I furrow my brows, "And what day is it today?"

She realizes my phone is dead, and checks hers, "Sorry, it's Thursday today."

I smile, "Okay. I hope to see you then."

I feel dumb saying that, acting as if I'm her friend and we're going to hang out.

"And I you," she replies, her guards guiding her back to that black SUV.

After Billie leaves, I decide that I must be clean and presentable next time she shows up. I basically just invited her to hang out and I have a stench cloud that spans five feet.

I don't shower often because the closest public showers are at the beach, and I need bus fare to get there.

I stay out front the store for the rest of the afternoon, and get a few more dollars. This location is much more lucrative than the places I used to beg. This jacket was a worthwhile investment.

When I return to my tent, I am hungry, and I have been all day. The last thing I ate was some McDonald's yesterday. I count up my money and decide that if I save half, I will have enough left over for bus fare on Saturday, a hairbrush, and 3 meals at McDonald's.

Tomorrow, I hope to get enough money for a handheld mirror, so I can brush my hair while sitting at the storefront.

.