Chapter 3

"You're right, there's no way I can get this out."

I turn back around to face her, "It's okay. Thanks for trying."

"Of course, Beautiful."

1979 words

Beautiful.

"Do you have a phone?" She asks.

I shake my head, "It's dead."

She giggles, giving me a flurry of butterflies, "Well we can fix that."

"Billie..." I say.

"Hey, I know you don't want me to help you out much, but just think of it as helping me. I wanna be able to text you next time I can't hang out."

I sigh, trying to hide a smile, "Okayyy."

"Great! I think Sully has a portable charger in the car."

She starts crawling around me to the door.

"Sully? Can you get the portable charger from the car? Jemma needs to charge her phone."

When he replies, she frowns, "But I wanna stay... Jemma is fine! She's not gonna... oh. Well I wanna keep hanging out... ugh, okay."

Billie turns to me, "Wanna go get frozen yogurt?"

I look at her and shake my head, "I'm sorry.. I don't have the money for that."

She nods, "... Right."

I frown, "I'm sorry."

"No, don't be sorry. We can figure this out. Sully is just telling me that there's a guy outside threatening to uhm... you know."

"Oh!" I reply, "Don. He says that shit all the time. He's never actually followed through."

Billie seems uncomfortable.

"I can come with you to get frozen yogurt," I offer.

She frowns, "You really won't get any? I don't see how me getting us some froyo translates to you not getting yourself out of homelessness. It's just some harmless fun with a friend. It's not like I'm buying you an apartment or something."

I send her a smile, "I'll think about it on the drive."

"Okay," Billie strokes down my cheek, "Let's go."

I open the tent and Sully kindly holds the flap open while we crawl out. Billie's other guard rushes us towards the car and I look back, making sure Sully zips the door all the way closed. I don't want bugs getting to my leftovers.

Billie gets in the car first, scooting over so I can get in through the same door. The guard shuts the door for us and gets in the passenger seat, Sully getting in to drive.

I look over at Billie and she seems much more comfortable, while I'm now the one feeling out of place.

What even is this friendship?

We are two complete opposites on the spectrum, yet here we are, getting frozen yogurt together.

"Where's your phone?" Billie asks, grabbing a cord attached to the car.

I blush, "Oh, I forgot to grab it."

I see Sully place my phone on the center console, "I got it."

My eyes widen, "It was in my valuables hole, how did you-"

"I noticed it when you crawled out. The blankets lifted and I saw your phone. I thought I should grab it for you."

I take a nervous breath, "Uhh- thank you."