11 | Corpse Bride and Darth Vader |

A djinn who didn't want to marry you was definitely more annoying than the one who did. Not that I wanted to marry him, but what he said hurt. I could be trusted!

"Gio! I'm sorry, okay?" I cried again to the river, but nothing came out.

Great. Not even the jumping fish wanted to be friends with me.

I sighed and stared at my reflection. I couldn't wait for Gio to return for the rest of my life, could I? Though, he'd made a habit of saving me. Would he come to my rescue if I were stuck in the mirror dimension with that creepy wolf? Thinking about the creature's wet growl sent cold shivers down my spine, but what else could I do?

I held my breath, and jumped into the river.

When my feet sploshed on the velvety floor, I opened my eyes to face the source of all my troubles— the three broken mirrors.

At least I wasn't lost this time.

The mirror on the left was completely black. Its dark surface was fluctuating with subtle waves while the other two mirrors radiated a cool glow, illuminating just enough light to see my surroundings.

The frame in the middle held two large pieces now, as if the broken fragment from the royal world had emerged here. The final chunk of glass was still attached to the mirror to the right.

The mechanics of my rescue plan seemed clearer. The broken pieces were going to stick back together as I gathered the fragments of my broken heart, and create a portal to my world.

Perhaps, I didn't need the help of that annoying djinn after all.

Everything about my reflections was messed up, though... Or I was the messy one with wet bushy hair, a silly petticoat stuck against my skin, and mascara stains under my eyes. How could Gio call me beautiful when I looked like I'd been attacked by starved crows? Was he trying to trick me into—marrying him? But that wasn't even an option now, either, was it?

Gosh, why did I even care?

"Gio, Gio, Gio." I crossed my arms.

My whisper echoed in the dark, horrid place.

"Seriously, dude? Can't you get over a stupid piece of paper?"

It seemed like he couldn't. Taking a hesitant step forward, I clenched my fingers around the antique frame.

"Gio?" My hopeless whisper rippled against my crooked, double reflection.

My genie wasn't coming.

I bit my shaky lip. Alaias' lips twitched into a dangerous smirk. Something wild snarled in the distance.

Gulping down the knot in my throat, I closed my eyes and walked in through the rippling mirror.

A shiver ran through my spine when I stepped out from the other side, and found myself perched on a familiar makeup table in Mom's bedroom.

This was Mom's bedroom, alright. The giant leather bed, the heavy cream curtains, and the blue sofa under the windows were all hers. The only difference was her room would always be tidy, but this one was a mess.

Shiny blouses, thick leather belts, low-cut capri jeans, and pointy stilettos covered the floor. Black satin bedsheets were piled in the center of her mattress. I jumped down and groaned when I stepped on an empty bottle. Picking it off the floor, I narrowed my eyes to read its blue label. Vodka.

Loud club music from downstairs vibrated through the stone walls. Leaving the bottle on the table, I grabbed a towel off the floor to wipe my face and petticoat, then tip-toed around the chaos to get out and explore.

As I reached for the knob, the heavy door flung open. My head flew back with a blow to my nose. "Ouch!!!"

A tangled couple swung into the room. Their heads were twisting and turning as they ate each other's faces.

I groaned and held my aching nose. Was it broken? When was I going to stop breaking myself?

"Oh, shit! Sorry..." The blonde guy in a toga dress apologized as he distanced himself from the short, curvy nun in his arms. "We just wanted to use the room for a while."

I frowned at the couple while my finger trailed the arc on my nose. It was throbbing with pain, but at least it wasn't broken—not that anyone cared to ask.

"Miranda said we could use it," added the nun.

If Mom gave them permission to use her room, who was I to argue?

I nodded and stepped outside but stopped before closing the door. "Where is Miranda?"

"Downstairs," said the guy and kicked the door shut before I could ask another question.

I sighed and slowly made my way to my bedroom to find some clues. When was I? Mom was definitely here. Did I exist in this reflection world too? It would be great to bump into myself—as if I hadn't had enough bumps for a day.

My heart sank when I pushed open my bedroom door. It was still a powder room and not as royal as the one that existed in another century. I must have been in a reflection of the past, though, because this was my bedroom for as long as I could remember.

I walked down the corridor toward the stairs and stopped again. The door to my dad's study was open. A continuous whirring of a computer's fan mixed in with the loud noises of the party from downstairs. I gave in to my urge and popped my head into the office.

My dad was leaning over his heavy, antique desk, blurting out curses. The blue light of a monitor was hitting his face just as aggressively as he hit the screen.

I couldn't help but smile at this. "Dad— I mean, David?"

He raised his curly blonde head and frowned behind a pair of round glasses. "Oh, hi. Did Miranda send you? Tell her I'll be back in a few minutes as soon as I get this stupid machine to PRINT MY FILES!" He grabbed the large printer on his desk and started shaking it.

The printer beeped and puked a couple of papers in return.

I chuckled. He looked young and silly in a silky black cloak that flowed down his shoulders.

"Costume party, huh?" I asked, pointing at the Darth Vader helmet and the red, plastic lightsaber on the couch.

"Yeah. Miranda wanted a Halloween-themed baby shower," he explained.

"Oh!" So, I wasn't born yet in this reflection world! This explained why Dad didn't have age lines around his lips when he smiled.

"Let me guess, you are... Corpse Bride?" he asked.

I giggled. It was a fair resemblance considering my long, damp petticoat and tangled hair.

He banged the printer on the desk with a huff and threw himself on his chair.

Well, it looked like I wasn't going to find my broken heart here. "I guess I'll go downstairs then," I announced as the printer started eating some paper with painful whirring sounds.

Dad waved his hand in defeat.

I was headed to the stairs when he asked, "I didn't catch your name?"

I popped my head back in. "Alaia."

"Really?" His voice chimed as everything on his face started beaming. "It is a lovely name. We are naming our daughter Alaia."

His proud tone filled my eyes with tears. I bit my lip to push them back and shook my head. "I'm sure she'll like it too."

He chuckled and raised his hands in victory when the printer finally settled.

I left him in his office and set off to find Mom.

I knew exactly where she would be.