16 | Spaghetti And Tomato Sauce |

Gio and I stood next to each other, holding hands in the faint hues of the last, cracked mirror. Our reflections looked a lot like two naughty children after a wild day at the playground. Our frizzy hair was messed up, his tunic and my petticoat were miserable, and our legs were covered in mud. But the glow in our eyes made up for our appearance.

We were beautiful.

"You know what to do," Gio said as he gently pushed me forward.

The Alaia in the mirror stepped up as we approached each other. We were more synchronized this time.

I touched my lips, so did she. I blinked and reached for the mirror. My reflection winked, and when our fingers touched, she grabbed my hand through the rippling glass and guided me into her world.

Moments later, I found myself standing in Mom's bedroom from this very morning. The cracked mirror was leaning on the makeup table. Her brush was on the same spot I'd left it—so was the red lipstick and the mascara.

Something was missing, though. I held my breath and started listening—but nothing. There wasn't a single sound in the castle.

Facing the mirror, I called Gio's name three times. He bent his head as he stepped out of the frame and stood next to me.

"I don't think anybody's here," I told him.

"Huh." He grinned and threw an arm over my shoulder. "This should be interesting."

"It would be easier if you just told me how to find my piece," I suggested as Gio led me to the door.

"Nah. Where is the fun in that?"

I shrugged and slipped away from his hold. My piece was going to find me eventually. Besides, Gio was here this time and he'd just implied that it would be fun!

"Where are you going?" he asked, glancing after me with widened eyes.

"I'll take a shower and get changed," I replied, lazily making my way to my bedroom. "See you in the kitchen? It's downstairs—past the living room, at the end of the corridor."

"You know I can dry-clean you with a head tilt, right?"

I smirked and pushed my bedroom door open. "Now, where is fun in that?"

I needed that shower more than anything—not only because I stank of mud, moss, and sweat but because I craved a sense of normality after all the craziness I'd been through.

As I stood under the running water, massaging my bubbly hair, Gio's whistle reached me from the drain. He must have made it to the kitchen. I giggled and crouched on the floor.

"Gio?" I sang.

His cheerful melody stopped with a gasp in a matter of seconds. "Alaia? Where are you?"

"Behind you. I'm invisible."

A loud clanking of dishes was followed by some metal clattering. He must have knocked a few pots and pans. I burst out laughing.

"I'm messing with you," I chirped between bouts of laughter. Gio was right. This world was fun. "I'm in my bathroom. Hear the water?"

The pipes carried his relieved sigh through the drain. "Well, I found the kitchen," he announced. "Are you hungry?"

My stomach's angry rumble made him chuckle.

"Don't bother. I'll heat something up when I come downstairs," I said.

"Nah, everything tastes bland in reflection worlds. Let me whip something up for you from scratch. I'm not a bad cook."

"Only if you insist." I stood up and turned the water off.