Chapter 3 | look too long and you'll see what isn't there

The morning sun peaked through his curtains, casting a holy glow on his face. Iguro's eyes opened with a snap, blinking a few times to adjust to the brightness. Iguro slowly began to rise from the comfort of his sheets, Kauramaru watching from his cage. The early birds were already pecking at his window for as little as a crumb of bread. Heading over, he opened the window.

"Sorry, I don't have food for you today," he said as the birds startled away from him. He knew they couldn't understand, so he shut the window and headed to the bathroom. He grabbed his toothbrush, hastily brushing his teeth and washing his face.

Exiting the bathroom, he went over to Kaburamaru's cage. Kaburamaru  perked up in acknowledgement. He said a good morning to Kaburamaru and rubbed his little head, the snake hissing in delight. Kaburamaru then proceeded to slither up Iguro's arm and onto his neck. He gigged slightly, his neck was always quite ticklish. He smiled. Until he saw something glisten in the corner of his eye.

He turned around to see a small, velvety box wrapped in gold ribbon on his nightstand. Attached to the ribbon was a white tag.

Hope you're having a good day, the note read in loopy handwriting, but the ink was a little splattered.

Huh? Did someone leave that here...? No, nobody has come over since the last 3 weeks. Iguro thought. He cautiously picked up the small box, running his hands over the fabric. It was rough against his fingertips. Kaburamaru flicked his tongue at the item.

Iguro carefully untied the ribbon, making sure not to ruin the box incase he needed to store it somewhere later. The ribbon loosened easily, the lid making a thump sounds as it hit the carpet. 

Inside the box was a small, silver keychain, glistening as the sun's rays reflected on it. The design was a snake with beady eyes, and intricate scales panted over it in a warm blue. 

Iguro carefully traced his hand over the intricate details. Judging by it's looks, this surely couldn't be bought from your average goods store.

Is this a gift from someone? Who?

Iguro searched the box all over for a name tag, but to no avail. Iguro bit his lip in confusion, deciding it wasn't worth pondering about. Nonetheless, the design was gorgeous, if Iguro said so himself. 

He put the keychain back into it's box, picking the lid up from the floor to close it. He opened the drawer on his old nightstand, which was filled with little knick knacks. He slipped the boxinto the drawer to muse later. 

...

Edit: This chapter has been rewritten.